• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Android head unit

I've recently got a new daily which I want to change the head unit in. I've got a single din alpine in the ep3 which I'm thinking I could use and then replace with an android system.

I use racechrono to time track days and was wondering if it would work from the head unit rather than my phone, also if I could hardwire my mobius camera to the head unit to save having to swap sd cards etc would be a big help.

Is there any brands or units that are better than others and worth spending the extra money on? Most of them seem to be cheap Chinese brands, which is hard to tell what is actually worth spending a bit more or if they are the same just reboxed.

Any experience with these units would be great, also a surround recommendation for the double din would be great

Cheers

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

That's a bit more than I wanted to spend. I was looking at the auto pumpkin or xtrons type ones. About £200 and seem to be packed with features.

I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. I was hoping someone had used lap timing and GPS on the built in ones. I'm sure it can be done somehow.

I had a Punpkin one in my DC5. Very, very slow and frustrated me most of the time.

I had a Punpkin one in my DC5. Very, very slow and frustrated me most of the time.
Any idea how old the model was Chris? A few reviews on amazon say the newer versions are much faster and even the boot time is now only 5 seconds. I'll buy from amazon when the time comes as at least I can just fire it back to them if it's no good.

Cheers,
Mark

I have a eonon double din Android system.
Very good for the price but always have problems with the units hard drive not enough space to download apps,only .9gb.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Started looking into these myself but then just decided to plug my iPad in and bracket it over the top of the unit so i still have all the same features as I do on my phone (hondata dash and lap timing google map navigation) and only had to spend £10 on a bracket. Sorry I know it’s not really what you’re asking but it’s worked well for me. Just throwing it out there.

Hey Norv, i have been looking into these pretty heavily over the last few weeks and as long as you get the octa core ones with Android 7.1 the start up time should be pretty quick and as long as you use the expansion slot for you memory it shouldnt slow down too much. I think ill get one for the EP3 next month.... Check out the you tube reviews as well, there are quite a few.

Is that a pic of mine you want? It’s only an iPad hanging in front of the double din stereo that’s in there. I can get some pics at the weekend though if ya like.

Yeah just interested to see what it sits like.

Back