• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Another K Pro vs. Reflash thread!

I am unclear about a few things to do with the benefits of K Pro over an ECU reflash. I obviously know that K Pro allows you to connect your laptop with the K Manager software and tune your car yourself. This to me sounds great if you're a professional tuner and can create the perfect map to run with what mods you have.

No sane person with only a basic understanding of a CTR would fiddle around with anything themselves. If you're just downloading maps that are designed for a CTR with similar, but not identical mods and not getting it professionally tuned then surely you're not getting the best out of your investment. Then with that being the case it kinda takes away the point of being able to tune the thing yourself.

A reflash as far as I can tell is only for cars with a max of cat back exhaust and induction kit fitted. So if that's right I can totally see the point in K Pro for those planning more.

I guess my overriding question, based on my understanding of the K Pro and reflash, is why to so many people opt for the K Pro?

One word. Flexibility.

For some folks they are happy with just an exhaust and induction kit. That in itself is enough, gives a little more response, and sounds cool. And as a further step as you say a reflash can be a cool idea.

Yet for many they may want the added flexibility that a full featured programmable system gives you (I have one and would not attempt to tweek it myself, but let the proper tuners like Paul at TDI or Abbey etc do it for me). My car has been through a few changes over the years F/I, changing exhaust and induction systems, and back to N/A. So in this case K-Pro's flexibility is needed. So it allows you to evolve your tuning over time.

Further more as no car is identical, and your individual needs may be different, it allows your car to be set up for how you want, launch control, rev limits etc etc.

In short it allows you to get the otimum tune for you and your car.

(hmmm the above does sound like an advert for Hondata).

Okay, how about KPro vs. K100?

I have booked the mota in for a couple of months time to get one fitted, but am still not sure what to go for (no rush though as I'm told I can decide on the day).

The only advantages of the KPro over the K100 to me seem to be reserved for those people who have a fairly intimate knowledge of tuning the CTR - anyone else could do more harm than good.

A K100 can be re-mapped as you change/add mods just like the KPro. The only difference being that you can do this yourself with the KPro. But as I said, isn't this a risky thing unless you really know what you're doing. That and the fact that even if what you're doing is safe it might not be the rest map and you won't be getting the best from your car.

Is there REALLY a great deal to be said for KPro over K100, or is the user-programming function just a gimmick that the tech-heads like to play with?

I was under the impression that the K100 was passworded, by the tuner, preventing you from modifying any of the data. If this is the case you are restricted from taking the K100 to different tuners, which is questionable as to the legalities of companies making you solely use them for future modifications. effectively its being held to ransom with the K100, whereas the Kpro, is open to anyone.

I just wouldn't want to be tied to one specific tuner which you are with K100 as there is only one place in the country that will touch it.

I know of a couple of examples where this has caused issues already.

I found out my K-pro was also password protected recently :confused:

Luckily it took Mase all of about 10 seconds to get round it.

Im not sure tbh mate :confused:

He asked me what the code was, i didnt know as i was never told and wasnt expecting it to be locked either.

He said dont worry, played around on his laptop for a minute and the Ecu was unlocked. Im seeing him again in a few weeks and i'll ask him how its done.

I just wouldn't want to be tied to one specific tuner which you are with K100 as there is only one place in the country that will touch it.

Soon there'll be another place to do that ;)

I found out my K-pro was also password protected recently :confused:

Luckily it took Mase all of about 10 seconds to get round it.

Yeah you can protect your maps. Many tuner do that, so that you have to nicely ask them before you can mod your maps. It's a way for the tuner to make sure that you wont be fiddling with the map, blow your engine, and then blame them for it.

Internet is your friend...

Im not sure tbh mate :confused:
He asked me what the code was, i didnt know as i was never told and wasnt expecting it to be locked either.
He said dont worry, played around on his laptop for a minute and the Ecu was unlocked. Im seeing him again in a few weeks and i'll ask him how its done.

Good luck this time mate.

On the KPro vs K100, the simple way of looking at it is to think that basically a K100 is a Kpro without a USB port. There is no "Black Magic" in tuning a K100. it is the same as tuning a KPro. The only difference is that only the tuner can do it. Most people would be ok with a K100.
I can't understand why tuning places in the UK do not want to tune them...

Back