• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Any Multimeter Experts

Got a new auto range multimeter,

How do I test a oil pressure sensor :confused:
The sensor is a 2 wire unit in a adaptor at the oil filter and the 2 wires plug into a aftermarket oil pressure gauge on the dash, trying to establish if the sensor was faulty or the gauge, as it blew a few minutes after I 1st turned on :eek:

The only test you could really do of the sensor itself is a resistance check but that won't really tell you much unless you know what it should be.

oh I see, hmm I am not sure then, I did a continuity test and it was fine so theirs no breaks in the wiring or anything like that
Here's a pic of the sensor if it helps, and it made me think.. if I got the white a black wires the wrong way around could that have caused it to blow :confused: :smt017

Attachments

• oil filter adaptor and sensors.jpg
    oil filter adaptor and sensors.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 8
The only test you could really do of the sensor itself is a resistance check but that won't really tell you much unless you know what it should be.

ive managed to get hold of the resistance ohm ratings vs bar pressure for the the sensor from the manufacturer :D
So I take it just a case of putting the multimeters probes to the white and black wires of the sensor and check if readings match?

Yes.
Ideally you want it so that it's Installed so You can see resistance change as the pressure changes.

I can probably put money on it not being the sensor!

Not if the gauge doesn't work at all....

Yeah you was right mate the sensor seems fine :D well I hope :confused:
It should read about 30ohm on the multimeter at engine idle and that's roughly what I got, Is the civic oil pressure at idle about 1.7bar?? if so then sensor is spot on to the manufacturers resistance ratings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back