• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Anyone else falling out of love with their FK8

Hope Ron's happy with himself :lol:
So you're having a go as well!
I stand by everything that I've said.....and if you want to highlight specifics I will happily say it again. :)
Nurburgring lap times mean precisely ZERO in the real world.
Its a sad day when you are criticized and belittled for your own views and opinions.
I love my car, but I know when another is better.

Oh you were only joking? Well that's ok then. :lol:

Nurburgring lap times mean precisely ZERO in the real world.

Have you ever been on the ‘ring ?

It’s a good benchmark as it combines similar aspects to real world driving. It’s a bit like a long B road in some respects , it combines long straights , small but sharp bends , sweeping bends etc. I think it’s as good as you’ll get to a B road you’ve never been on and therefore one of the best benchmarks that pretty much all manufacturers like to be the “king” of.

It sort of did but then you see videos like this and you begin to question whether Honda maybe told a few porkies when it came to the ring lap time?

FK2 vs FD2 vs NSXR

https://youtu.be/pur8tJuMEro

I always love those shows, but that whole situation was a bit awkward. Snow/frosty track, FD2 running 265/35/R18's on the front, FK2 with traction control and probably a few other features still enabled. I wish I could read more about the mods the various cars had.

Have you ever been on the ?ring ?

It?s a good benchmark as it combines similar aspects to real world driving. It?s a bit like a long B road in some respects , it combines long straights , small but sharp bends , sweeping bends etc. I think it?s as good as you?ll get to a B road you?ve never been on and therefore one of the best benchmarks that pretty much all manufacturers like to be the ?king? of.

Agreed, if it was a rubbish benchmark and had zero relativity to the real word. Why do almost all manufacturers use it to test on, and set the fastest times that they can? How fast the car is around the Ring is probably the best benchmark that there can be for how fast it it going to be on the road.

They all measure the times from a standing start as well so the times include a demo of the traffic light grand prix that most people seem to think is a measure of how 'fast' a car is these days.

14k is an incredible discount.....but I'm assuming as you say it has everything on it, it still costs basic list price or more. :D
An amazing car by all accounts....congratulations. :D

I'm paying about the same as the fk8 with the carbon pack . Delivery tomorrow

Notice how the FK2 had its Esp and traction control on?
I genuinely mis my FD2 for its handling capability. Great cars.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I hadn't noticed to be honest, the track probably played into the favour of the FD2, short straights, twisty etc. They still look properly modern over here too despite being ten years old, great car's.

I always love those shows, but that whole situation was a bit awkward. Snow/frosty track, FD2 running 265/35/R18's on the front, FK2 with traction control and probably a few other features still enabled. I wish I could read more about the mods the various cars had.

Same here, it definitely wasn't a standard FD impressive nonetheless.

Agreed, if it was a rubbish benchmark and had zero relativity to the real word. Why do almost all manufacturers use it to test on, and set the fastest times that they can? How fast the car is around the Ring is probably the best benchmark that there can be for how fast it it going to be on the road.

They all measure the times from a standing start as well so the times include a demo of the traffic light grand prix that most people seem to think is a measure of how 'fast' a car is these days.

I would agree with you if manufacturers could be trusted to run stock car's, unfortunately they probably don't. We all know that they lie, take the VW emission's scandal for example.

I would agree with you if manufacturers could be trusted to run stock car's, unfortunately they probably don't. We all know that they lie, take the VW emission's scandal for example.

The VW emissions issue was galling for even more reasons than you might expect too, it means we missed out on amusements like the Golf R400.

The VW emissions issue was galling for even more reasons than you might expect too, it means we missed out on amusements like the Golf R400.

too true, was looking forward to that.....They might dust it off the shelf when they look at how the Fk8 has comfortably smashed their R on every group test, the 130N is doing so well, the new A45 AMG is coming, Meg 300 etc....of course, the group has the Audi RS3 but the brand that arguably invented the hot hatch needs a representative that can mix it with the big boys surely

but the brand that arguably invented the hot hatch needs a representative that can mix it with the big boys surely
Hasn't the Golf GTI been regularly winning hot hatch tests and COTY for some time in recent years? It doesn't have to be 300+ bhp, smash lap records and set the fastest times etc to be considered the best hot hatch. To me a hot hatch is a car you can go quick in when it takes your fancy and then drive to Ikea and put in a wardrobe in the boot or drop the kids off at school in comfort. The Golf GTI, to me, seems a brilliant choice for such tasks. As an all rounder I think it's a great car. Of course if you want something more hardcore or a bit different then there's other options to choose from.

Next year i hear they're adding more horses and torques to the Golf GTI.

Personally, i wish they wouldn't.

It would be better if VW just made the car lighter.

Its currently a well rounded car. Quick if not fast. Won't destroy any lap times but won't destroy rubber too quickly either. Cheap to run, practical, and sporty enough to feel special(ish).

The race for power is getting out of hand. With great power comes great overheads.

There's nowt wrong with being a warm hatch and then having a 'halo' product as the top of the range for those who want genuine performance.

Make the Golf R crazy powerful and a track weapon if necessary but they should leave the GTI alone.

The Clubsport was made in seriously low numbers.

I'd argue that the Clubsport dilutes the range?! To me it does. To most non-petrolheads they only know the GTI moniker, some may know the R moniker. But Clubsport - what's that?!

I'm a believer in making a clear cut car range. I understand manufacturers have to diversify to make more sales but all these coupe SUVs and GTI Clubsports etc seriously irritate me. Cupra are a case in point, it was all getting OTT so a new brand had to be born.

That's why i like and was drawn to Honda. Here's the basic range. Here's the mental one. That's it.

Maybe that's why Honda don't sell as many cars but i like it.

Hasn't the Golf GTI been regularly winning hot hatch tests and COTY for some time in recent years? It doesn't have to be 300+ bhp, smash lap records and set the fastest times etc to be considered the best hot hatch. .

No.

I am sorry, but when you can smash lap records and go to Ikea on the way home, put in that wardobe then whack it in comfort and get 30mpg plus then that's the best hot hatch. Game has moved on. My Mk6 was great, faster than the stats suggest, but I really don't get all this 'great all rounder' tosh..... The FK8 and mega hatches are great all rounders

Back