• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Apologies – Another Oil Question

Hello all,

I have searched the forum but cannot get a definitive answer on what oil to use – so far I have seen people recommended 0W30 or 5W30 or 5W40 or 10W40.

I even phoned two HONDA Dealers and they told me different weights/ oils!

I have a standard (other than ITG) EP3 with 50K on the clock, I do a lot of cold starts due to my job, I do like to VTEC but I do not hoon around all the time.

Bottom Line: is SHELL HELIX 5W30 safe to put in my car? (It is very good value at the moment £19.43 for 5L)

Thank you (and please do not suggest any more oils or my head will explode)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is fine,

I know you don't want anymore suggestions but..
You will find nearly everyone on here uses 5w40 fully synthetic as do nearly all the tuners etc.
If you look at nearly all the oil threads they recommend 5w40 too

Hello guys, thank you for the reply.

What benifits does 40 offer over 30? I read somewhere that it is thicker when hot - is this the main benifit?

Thank you

Yeah it'll be thicker which helps if you find your engine burns a lot of oil, i.e. Is in higher end of the rev range frequently like on track days for example.

Is shell helix 5w30 safe in your car? Yes. It's quite a good oil. Keep in mind, if you just bought it and the previous owner used a different oil, it'll take a couple oil changes before it settles in.

My two favourites in my DC5 were Millers and Mobil New Life. Anything else and the car didn't feel as smooth and/or I was topping up more often.

Just bought some Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for £23. This seems to be the most recommended grade for the EP3. It's very reasonable on CarParts4Less and discount codes are easily found. HTH!

I use Millers Nanodrive 5w40, doesn't burn a drop. I've heard a lot of people use the Shell Helix and it's great value, not sure what it's like in terms of oil consumption though.

Thanks for the advice, I have ordered the 5W30 as I do a lot of cold starts (theoretically it should warm up a bit faster as it is thinner than 40)

I will post an update if I have any issues!

As this is on-topic.

Any specific advice regarding oil for a high mileage K20?
Depends if it smokes or burns any really, I know with B series engines once you get over 100k they may start to burn oil so just switch to the next grade thicker (ie 5w-30 to 5w-40) and all was well.

Mines on 109 and have always used 5-40 Castrol hardly uses any and seems pretty quiet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back