• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Apple Carplay Issues iPhone X

What was the problem you experienced, Cookra?
Did the car sometimes just not recognise your iPhone X?
If so I’m having the same issue - in which case I’ll go and get a new cable per your solution. Sheesh these Apple cables are delicate wee flowers aren’t they?
N.

What was the problem you experienced, Cookra?
Did the car sometimes just not recognise your iPhone X?
If so I’m having the same issue - in which case I’ll go and get a new cable per your solution. Sheesh these Apple cables are delicate wee flowers aren’t they?
N.

Yeah, different cable fixed it for me. Just drove back from Devon, 5 hours without a problem..

FFFFFFFS.
I can’t believe that 2 cables are doing the same thing.
I’ve removed and re-paired the phone too. It seems to work fine for a while then just stops. I’ll pay more attention to what’s going on when it tops in case something is triggering it, but I fear it’s not just a cable issue.
If anyone else having the same issue can do similar we might be able to triangulate the root cause.
Thanks.
Neil

Ps
I also recognise that I might just have been unlucky with my choice of cables. In which case if cables fix everyone else’s issues I’ll just go and buy a selection of cables to switch out as required.
Thanks.

sorry to ask but are you using the same USB port. I found the Car wouldn't find / couldn't use the Samsung phone with the USB port buried in the centre console (near cup holders) and only worked/synced with the USB port hidden behind the wireless charging station (next to the HDMI input I recall).

I’ve been using the USB port beside the HDMI port.
Worked fine all the way home tonight, using one of my original cables. I made a point of plugging in the phone before starting the car - will check if that’s the common theme for when it works -v- fails.
Thanks.

No claims to an iPhone X, but my humble iPhone 6S seems to be playing up. Seemed to be fine on previous days.
New cable from the iPhone shop as well.
(being honest ***, I'm not quite sure that Carplay is really doing much for me. Maybe I'm a bit of a luddite)

Although not an FK8, I have CarPlay on a Pioneer unit in my FD2. I don't find it that great. It's fine when it works, but it appears to be quite buggy. For example, if I want to listen to TuneIn radio, it doesn't work all the time from the dash and I have to start it on my phone (safely, of course). Similar stories with Apple Maps and Music as well.

All a pain in the rear to be honest.. actually finding it a little gimmicky.. the fact I can’t search the web by voice whilst driving really blows.. Considering we can search for a contact, search for a song etc..

What software versions are on for the head unit and iPhone?

Yeah, port next to HDMI- as mentioned- all working fine now with the new cable? Where are we all based?

If anyone is interested in a follow up to this...

It turns out my connection problem was nothing to do with the cable.
The car just doesn’t like me switching directly from my phone being used as a Bluetooth audio source, to my phone being used for Apple CarPlay (using USB / Lightning cable.)

It’s a super simple thing to solve....
If phone is playing audio via Bluetooth (e.g. if I’ve forgotten to connect the cable before starting the car), I connect the USB cable then switch audio to an alternative non-phone source (DAB for example) before I select Apple CarPlay. Seems to have worked every time so far.

Hopefully this might help others resolve their connection issues too.

N.

Interesting. I wonder if that's a head-unit issue or a phone one? If it's a head-unit problem then Honda ought to be told and maybe they can (eventually) release a patch.

With my android / android auto.

It doesn't work for me if I plug it in before the cars on.
I have to connect it after turning the car on / waiting for the head unit to boot up properly.

Other than that its fine.

I saw a poster said he can't browse the web using voice? Doesn't that defeat the point of android auto/apple car play? :D

Or do you mean asking it random questions? if thats the case, mine does do that fine - but i am on android and it uses google?

Not sure about apple, cant stand iphones - loada crap.

CarPlay now has a mind of its own for me too.
Sometimes it will connect. Other times not at all.
When it connects it will often just stop playing after a few seconds. Occasionally it’ll start again if it’s own accord. Other times it hangs, locking out all buttons even those beside the screen.
Disconnecting from phone and/or dash does hee-haw to fix it. Nor does switching the phone off properly then back on.

WTF???

Anyway, I was sitting at the dealership (Perth Honda) this morning, waiting for the MyHonda dongle to be fitted and so asked if there’s a software update for CarPlay available.
Well, apparently there is but it’s quite a lengthy installation so I didn’t have time to get it done today.

Thought I’d share in case anyone else is desperate to try it and see if it fixes these gremlins. I’ll probably book an update at some point in the next few weeks. In the meantime I’ll stick with Bluetooth.

N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back