• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Are these mods a good idea?

Hi all,

A new EP3 owner here and thinking about possibly what mods to do to the car. I don't wan't silly power or noise but just a little to improve the overall car. I have spent the last two days reading through past threads and came to the following list of mods from what others have recommended or done to their cars.

ITG Maxogen Intake system - £395
Supersprint Unsilenced B-pipe - £227
K100 + remap - £690

Total: £1312

Is this a good choice of sensible mods?

Thanks for any help.

The bottom two are, the super sprint b-pipe is something I'm currently considering as is a remap in the end. Don't know much about the maxigen, just don't buy one new, you can get brilliant second hand bargains. Such ad gruppe m intakes and other bits and peices. Sure you must have read about it but are you considering a FRSU??

The bottom two are, the super sprint b-pipe is something I'm currently considering as is a remap in the end. Don't know much about the maxigen, just don't buy one new, you can get brilliant second hand bargains. Such ad gruppe m intakes and other bits and peices. Sure you must have read about it but are you considering a FRSU??

The ITG Maxogen has great reviews on here. Not as good as the GruppeM but over half the price and to be honest, I don't think I would notice the difference between the two anyway. Plus the ITG is much quiter which I think I prefer.

I have not yet looked into the FRSU but I know TGM in fleet which is near me can do it.

I bought my gruppe m for £400 and the teigwa copies are even cheaper. But as you say I'm sure there is very little difference.

The ITG Maxogen has great reviews on here. Not as good as the GruppeM but over half the price and to be honest, I don't think I would notice the difference between the two anyway. Plus the ITG is much quiter which I think I prefer.

I have not yet looked into the FRSU but I know TGM in fleet which is near me can do it.

Do it. Best mod you can have and improves handling better than adding anything else

As others have said already I would concentrate on the handling first personally.

Decent springs such as Eibach Pro Kit, FRSU, JDM Rear ARB, uprated brake pads and lines will all transform the car.

Do it. Best mod you can have and improves handling better than adding anything else

Thanks. Before I start searching the forum for all the gory details, can you give me a quick overview what is involved in the FRSU mod. Is it a geometary only change or springs, camber bolts etc also? Plus, is it a well known upgrade that all garages do or a tailor made to suit mod. Finaly, rough ball park price for this mod?

TGM would be your best bet if your close. You will need rear camber arms, front camber bolts but can stay on the standard suspension if you want although I would recommend upgrading this at the same time.

TGM would be your best bet if your close. You will need rear camber arms, front camber bolts but can stay on the standard suspension if you want although I would recommend upgrading this at the same time.

Thank you. Yes, TGM are about 10 - 15 mins away. I could be wrong but the EP3 looks quite low anyway, certainly not on stilts like a lot of other cars. Do the Eibach's lower the car much or just stiffen the ride?

That's great news for you having TGM so close, I wouldn't use anyone else to be honest.

The Pro Kit which I have and many others lower the car by about 15mm and are progressive so not much different from standard when driving normally. Its personal choice really but I think it improves the look even further removing a bit of the gap in the arches but along with the FRSU you will notice a big improvement to the handling.

There is a modified version by ABP which are even lower, about 30mm I believe but I would avoid unless you very rarely come across speed bumps.

That's great news for you having TGM so close, I wouldn't use anyone else to be honest.

The Pro Kit which I have and many others lower the car by about 15mm and are progressive so not much different from standard when driving normally. Its personal choice really but I think it improves the look even further removing a bit of the gap in the arches but along with the FRSU you will notice a big improvement to the handling.

There is a modified version by ABP which are even lower, about 30mm I believe but I would avoid unless you very rarely come across speed bumps.

That sounds great actually and 15mm is nothing really. Like you say, it will just make it look a little nicer without giving it that slammed look.

Been having a think a bit more about future mods and this is the list I have come up with so far. Any thoughts on the following?

Spoon Progressive Lowering Springs
Spoon N1 Backbox with original OEM B-Pipe
JDM Rear Anti Roll Bar
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads
K100 Remap

It seems in a lot of threads I have read including this one that only the rear JDM Anti Roll Bar is recommended. Is it not worth going for the front JDM Anti Roll Bar then?

Is it worth changing the rear brake pads to Ferodo DS2500 ones also or are the OEM ones good enough?

I know a lot of people recommend the FRSU but speaking to Tom at TGM, he gave me the impression that it was a bit hit or miss. Some people rave about it and others say it makes very little difference. I am planning on doing 4 - 6 trackdays a year so I may notice the difference but I will speak to Tom again and see where the land lies.

Last edited by a moderator:

i have the itg on my ep3 its a nice piece of kit, looks good in the bay too, its not excessively loud but quite a bit louder than the standard air box.

Been having a think a bit more about future mods and this is the list I have come up with so far. Any thoughts on the following?

Spoon Progressive Lowering Springs
Spoon N1 Backbox with original OEM B-Pipe
JDM Rear Anti Roll Bar
Ferodo DS2500 Front Brake Pads
K100 Remap

It seems in a lot of threads I have read including this one that only the rear JDM Anti Roll Bar is recommended. Is it not worth going for the front JDM Anti Roll Bar then?

Is it worth changing the rear brake pads to Ferodo DS2500 ones also or are the OEM ones good enough?

I know a lot of people recommend the FRSU but speaking to Tom at TGM, he gave me the impression that it was a bit hit or miss. Some people rave about it and others say it makes very little difference. I am planning on doing 4 - 6 trackdays a year so I may notice the difference but I will speak to Tom again and see where the land lies.

The front JDM ARB is the same thickness so no point in changing. The rear one from the JDM is thicker however and makes a big difference. There are also ones made by Progress which are thicker still.

Standard pads at the rear are fine. At the front I currently have Standard disks, DS2500 pads , TGM Braided brake hoses and uprated fluid and they have been great on track although after a chat with Tom yesterday I am thinking about the Brembo brake conversion when the disks need replacing.

I don't know much about the exhaust but I was under the impression that the Spoon N1 was notoriously loud so you may have problems on trackdays. I am planning on fitting either the Fujitsubo RM01A or Mugen Twin Loop cat backs which are both trackday friendly.

The front JDM ARB is the same thickness so no point in changing. The rear one from the JDM is thicker however and makes a big difference. There are also ones made by Progress which are thicker still.

Standard pads at the rear are fine. At the front I currently have Standard disks, DS2500 pads , TGM Braided brake hoses and uprated fluid and they have been great on track although after a chat with Tom yesterday I am thinking about the Brembo brake conversion when the disks need replacing.

I don't know much about the exhaust but I was under the impression that the Spoon N1 was notoriously loud so you may have problems on trackdays. I am planning on fitting either the Fujitsubo RM01A or Mugen Twin Loop cat backs which are both trackday friendly.

Thanks Colin, really helpful post. I forgot about the TGM braided brake hoses. Will add them to the list and get Tom to fit them when the pads get done at some point.

I thought the Spoon N1 was ok with the OEM silenced B-Pipe. I better look into this more though as last thing I want to do is spend the money and then have issue on trackdays. Mugen Twin Loop would be nice also.

Thanks again for your advice.

Back