• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 AutoCar's verdict

CTR Trophy or CTR Cup like Renault did with the Clio.

Less is more to some people, Honda would do well to remember that.

Does anyone else remember the poster in dealerships a few years ago that basically said "We put the gearstick in the dashboard coz it's better and we're great for thinking of it and engineering it this way".

The new CTR seems like a bit of a back-track to grab 30 something VAG group car drivers who are used to creature comforts but want to pretend they're too cool for the Golf.

Who knows what Honda have planned? If they see that the sales of the FN2 aren't up to that of what the EP3 were, then perhaps they might spice it up a bit and give us a real Type-R so to speak.

End of the day, that's what Renault did when they realised that original Megane 225 (or whatever it was called) was pants.

MilanoChris said:
Who knows what Honda have planned? If they see that the sales of the FN2 aren't up to that of what the EP3 were, then perhaps they might spice it up a bit and give us a real Type-R so to speak.

End of the day, that's what Renault did when they realised that original Megane 225 (or whatever it was called) was pants.

Let's hope nobody buys it then :lol:

Surely the production of a good "more raw" variant shouldn't rest on the original being a pile of toss?

I've no doubt that the new CTR will sell and sell and sell... just not to the same people who bought the EP3.

lets face it...we all hate new models because we watch the £££££'s fall off our current models and we don't have the £££££'s for a new one...catch 22. :wink: :x

natural reaction unless you have the bucks for a new one.

I will wait to test drive this one. New CTR owners will buy them in droves as they will probably have not compared it to the current.

I have compared it to the current. Drove it back to back and honestly found it better (even compared to my tuned car) as I have said so frequently. At least on the road. It would be interesting to see it up against the EP on a track.

I do think there is also the case of EP owners reacting to the FN in the same way as DC2/EK9 owners reacted to the EP when it came out. Most folks in these threads are repeating the same things :D.

I am for good or bad certain that as in the case of the EP more regular joes, who are not necesseraly Honda/Type-R enthusiasts will buy the new car. And will be introduced to the marque.

I was never a fan of Hondas untill I drove the EP for the first time. Then I was hooked :). That is surely a good thing.

Besides any enthusiast buying one will more than likely tinker with it anyway :D

Even Auto Express picked up on the torsion bar :?

To me, Honda always meant "Even if it works, fiddle with it an if necessary, over-engineer it just to make a point"

Now it seems that a torsion bar "will do".

Maybe you're right, the same things are getting repeated by people who haven't even driven it enough... but the outlook ain't good.

I have come to the conclusion that until having had a drive of the car MYSELF then there is not really alot to say.

My opinion of the looks is well known, the looks fine from all angles until the view of the rear. I hope it grows on me, it would be strange to like 3/4 of a car. :lol: :lol:

Scousefella said:
I have come to the conclusion that until having had a drive of the car MYSELF then there is not really alot to say.

My opinion of the looks is well known, the looks fine from all angles until the view of the rear. I hope it grows on me, it would be strange to like 3/4 of a car. :lol: :lol:

remember when the megane came out with that behind ?

soon get used to it...................i hope :D

imo, i think the ctr has lost its edge.

I really dont care what the media say, they generally stick to what they have always liked and give credit to whoever credits their bank accounts at that time.

I will be driving one, booked in for 2 weeks time which is when my dealers said they would have them, then i'll make judgement. I trust G's opinion on the car so I am looking forward to the drive but will someone else's views sway me??? not a chance

insanojackson said:
sajon44 said:
twisted veiws the supercharger is on hold at mo until i test drive the fn2 on saturday hope i like the way it drives as i love the looks

Where is this test drive occurring? I believe dealers are not getting cars for a couple of weeks?

bassets honda bridgend when i phoned monday to book car in for first mot asked about test driving the type s just to drive new civic basically they told me why not test drive the type r as i have one coming in tomorrow so i going over saturday

CTR said:
ADHDboy said:
Look at Renault, constantly trying to improve and release more focused versions of their cars. I think their philosophy is bang on at the minute, even if they are French :wink:

Honda could rectify this situation with us, the harder core fans, by at least releasing a a full blooded version. Rid of any unnecessary weight, bit more power and a nice little LSD. They'd shift a bucket load I reckon :mrgreen:

Would that would be the same Renault who focused an extra 180kg into the new Clio...

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/comp/?id=100144&id=141471

:wink:

I agree that a lighter, LSD equipped Civic would be welcome though.

Will sell, not as well as EP3 i predict as there are more competetors out there now.
Quite frankly imo it appears to be a compromised hot hatch, will have to wait to get one on track before i stick the final nail in the mental coffin.

It is less compromised than the EP IMHO. The main bugbear most folks had with the current car was feeback and feel. This is much much better.

Of course the track is a different place and there may be less between them. All I know is the guys (Goodwood instructors I chatted to who have driven them on track and up the hillclimb were impressed, one of those drives a DC2). He said that on the hillclimb the FN was faster than their RS4. Though I guess that is a bit big and less nimble so less able to utilise the power difference.

MilanoChris said:
I'm going to test frive it before I pass judgement. Won't buy one though, my DC5 is good enough for me.

I think you'll need a slap for a wake up call if you intended to trade your DC5 for the new CTR. :lol: Good call. 8)

Scousefella said:

Scouse, there's always the new JDM Civic Type-R which has a better rear end. :D Well, to me anyway. And you can have it in CW. 8)

kamion said:
Scousefella said:

Scouse, there's always the new JDM Civic Type-R which has a better rear end. :D Well, to me anyway. And you can have it in CW. 8)

A very nice car. :twisted:

kamion said:

I hope someone imports one and puts it through the SVA procedure. That would open the door and allow others to follow.

Back