• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

awful crunch when starting up

seems to be happening more now its freezing cold

when I start my car up, I get a loud crunch, like when you try and start the car when its already running

i thought it maybe the starter motor and I was leaving the key turned too long... but I definitely wasnt this morning and the crunch still happens

any ideas?

Every time? Mine used to do it one in 5/6. The starter motors get full of crud, and sometimes don't disengage fast enough.

I think TGM said they could take it off and give it a clean, but it would only end up doing it again.

Every time? Mine used to do it one in 5/6. The starter motors get full of crud, and sometimes don't disengage fast enough.

I think TGM said they could take it off and give it a clean, but it would only end up doing it again.

This

Starter motor sticking, mine does it every so often

so does mine. doesn't have to be cold. when my old car did it, so I gave the starter motor a couple of good hits, loads of dust fell out and it stopped sticking. might have to do this to my civic.

you will need a bit of wood or something to rest on the starter motor, then hit that with a hammer. just don't work the guns to hard to smash it off! ;)

Yeah common fault , when the weather gets a bit cold the starter motors seem to do an extra turn , nothing to worry about its been talked about a few times .

Back