• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Back in a Honda, EP3 Civic Type R

Was nice to meet you Marc, hope you weren't there too late!

Was nice to meet you Marc, hope you weren't there too late!

You too mate, I was done for about 4:30pm, managed a clear run back though so not that bad, had a lovely sausage bap from the cafe around the corner (or is it barm cake oop north) so I will definitely be returning. :D

I'm back next month for the rear calipers, I think I've been nearly every month for the last few! You'll have to let me know if you do go to Oulton Park, I live about 5 mins away and still haven't been on track there - it does seem a lot more expensive than all the others though.

You will get there with it mate, when's it going in for the insurance work? I will send you a message when I'm going to Oulton, off to Cornwall this week so will look at booking when I'm back, it is expensive though.

The insurers have it at a total loss as the cost of the works is too much compared to the value of the car. So cash in my hand to get it sorted myself with change for mods! Just waiting on quotes from some body shops now.

The insurers have it at a total loss as the cost of the works is too much compared to the value of the car. So cash in my hand to get it sorted myself with change for mods! Just waiting on quotes from some body shops now.

That's not bad then mate, what you thinking of doing to it? I know you were talking about exhausts.

Probably an exhaust I think, maybe go with fujitsubo as a treat haha

I'm booked in for my first track day on the 9th February at Oulton Park, I really should have had a few days under my belt by now but something always pops up that stops me from booking. I moved house back in November and while the house offered all of the space that we will ever need something just wasn't working with it, so I broke out the sledgehammer and ripped out most of what was a nice downstairs, lots of swearing commenced, sleepless nights, hard work and plenty of beer downed, in fact the whole project was powered by Stella. We now have a family home that we desperately needed after living in a rather small semi for the four years previous. It's great to see my two boys using the space how I'd hoped and even better that I no longer step on Lego every time I walk through the living room (it's not quite as bad as a plug socket but it still blinking hurts). Long story short I've decided to treat myself while my wife is feeling generous.

I need a few things sorting to get the car ready, namely some new pads and a couple of Ad08's. Looking at Project Mu HC800's which seem really well regarded and looking to pick up a helmet at the Autosport show this weekend. Hopefully it will be the first of many, if anyone has any pointers or can think of anything that I may not have thought of I'm all ears but my list of things to take is rather small.

Helmet
Gaffer tape
Cable ties
Tyre pressure reader
Oil
Water.

Cheers. smile

Better brake fluid (and at the very least making sure that it's been changed vaguely recently). If you're on standard brakes then they're going to get hot, making sure you can stop (or that they'll fade gradually rather than all at once) could be a way of avoiding a very emotional corner.

It had a dollop of rbf 600 a couple of years ago and hasn't really been used in anger other than some swift road driving. I get the feeling that I will be generally driving to brake fade given other people's reports on a fairly standard set up, it does have the civic cup disks. I'm not planning on setting any records, it will be nice to just make decent progress without worrying about speeding tickets, cheers.

Right, but brake fluid is hygroscopic and degrades over time. I'd hope you weren't driving beyond your abilities either, but even if you weren't it'd be a shame for something to go wrong because of some old fluid that'd cost maybe £30 to replace.

I'd run PBS pads personally. They were amazing when I ran them, night and day difference to the ds2500 that I had originally. New pads and change the fluid, it's recommended every 2 years due to water content and the boiling temp drops dramatically when wet. If you look at the dry and wet boiling points on the fluid you'll see what difference it makes. That might buy you a lap or 2 before cool downs.

I keep meaning to carry a spare oil cap, as I've heard quite a few reports of them coming loose and running away! For sake of a few quid it's worth carrying a spare.

I always take a torque wrench and check my wheel nuts after every session or 2, just for peace of mind really.

Other than that, brakes, tyres and general wear and tear all sorted, you sound ready to have a blast. Geometry would be the next thing on the list to check, but the lost is endless!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Cheers, I've heard good things about the pbs pads, how do they fare on the road?
They bite well from cold, they're a bit noisy sometimes and leave a fair bit of dust. Standard for a performance pad really. I was really pleased with them.

They bite well from cold, they're a bit noisy sometimes and leave a fair bit of dust. Standard for a performance pad really. I was really pleased with them.

I went from the ds2500 to the Mu HC800 and don't rate the pad.

Was thinking of either going back to ds2500 or giving the PBS a go along with a fluid change as it's been two and a half years since I did that.

Sorry Tommy but it's not for sale, I doubt it ever will be to be honest. Good ones do become available from time to time but you will probably have to travel a bit to find what you're looking for, could be worth asking on the Facebook groups if you haven't already.

The car is ready for next Friday's outing at Oulton Park, I opted for PBS pads in the end and got the brake fluid changed at the same time so that's nice and fresh. A mate is kindly letting me use his go pro so I will try and get some footage from the day. It's been quite an expensive month gathering bits and pieces.

Helmet
Foot pump
Tyre pressure reader
Gloves
Tow straps
2x AD08r
PBS Pads
Rbf 600.

Looking at upgrading a few bits over the coming months, ball joints, droplinks, rear lights etc. Just to keep on top of things really.

I went from the ds2500 to the Mu HC800 and don't rate the pad.

Was thinking of either going back to ds2500 or giving the PBS a go along with a fluid change as it's been two and a half years since I did that.
Pbs were a massive improvement, you won't be disappointed. I'm running some Carbotech on the Renault brembos now and they are another huge step up. Hotter they get the better they work and really progressive in power.

Back