• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bad throttle response

I noticed several days ago my car suffers from bad throttle response every now and then.

It happens mostly when idling (red light) and then when pressing the throttle pedal and releasing the clutch pedal at the same time to accelerate, I notice the engine waits like 0.2 secs before reving, resulting in almost stalling the engine because I release the clutch too soon.

It also revs too slow when double clutching to sync gears allowing to downshift faster.

It's annoying but not a real big issue. I wonder however if there might be a particular cause to this?

My best bet is it might be the heat as it gets over 20°C lately or needing new sparkplugs.

Anyway, good news is, the car doesn't really suffer powerloss, it still accelerates as day one I got it, just little delay on the engine.

Tighten the throttle cable? Not sure whether yours is loose or not but tending to the slack in my throttle cable improvedc throttle response greatly.

Completely pointless in a modern car with syncro-mesh.

I do not fully agree on this...
downshifting from 3 to 2 at higher RPM's goes flawless by first matching the RPM's of the next gear instead of relying on the syncro.
However, in a certain way you're absolutely right, the syncro should allow direct downshifts but it goes way smoother using double-clutching.

Please try and feel for yourself, you can downshift using 1 finger when double-clutching and you need to use some force putting it in gear without the technique, the difference is very noticeable.

As for the throttle response, it's clearly heatsoak as the symptoms got worse on hotter days and powerloss was there as well.
Now it's windy and not too hot and the car acts like new again! :)

So I consider this solved...

I do not fully agree on this...
downshifting from 3 to 2 at higher RPM's goes flawless by first matching the RPM's of the next gear instead of relying on the syncro.
However, in a certain way you're absolutely right, the syncro should allow direct downshifts but it goes way smoother using double-clutching.

Please try and feel for yourself, you can downshift using 1 finger when double-clutching and you need to use some force putting it in gear without the technique, the difference is very noticeable.

As for the throttle response, it's clearly heatsoak as the symptoms got worse on hotter days and powerloss was there as well.
Now it's windy and not too hot and the car acts like new again! :)

So I consider this solved...

i agree with this statement.

Back