• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Baffled Sumps?

I'm yet to track the EP3, but the car is now as good as it'll ever be with some new pads and fresh rubber. However, I was talking to a racing driver who uses a Type-R as his daily driver and he insisted that I purchase a baffled sump before I take my car anywhere near a circuit. Apparently, the Civic is particularly prone to oil starvation during high-speed cornering. I've spoken to other owners and they seem to disagree, can anyone else shed any light on this?

Two trains of thought.

Fit a baffled sump and be ultra safe
OR
Over fill the oil by a 2mm or so over the max mark on the dipstick before going on track.

What tyres are you running??
If you're just running road tyres, ie not semi slicks, you will be fine without one tbh.

If you've got super sticker tyres and sorted suspension and liked a track day or two, yeah I'd get one.

If I had my EP3 still and did the odd track day like I do in my S2000, I'd get one I think.

It's not that EP3's are prone to oil starvation I think, it's just that they're so reliant on oil that it's common thing to do for a track toy.

I'm running Hankook v12 EVO's, I've done plenty of trackdays before so I don't drive shy. Having said that, I've not had any problems with previous cars.

You'll be fine, as I said, just make sure the oil is topped up to max at the very least.
Plenty of EP3s on track without them.

Save starting a new thread thought id mention it here. Going round corners fast and aggresively and say you change down and hit the vtec round the corner, the car seems to like stop itself and vtec disengages and then when your on the straight out of the corner it picks back up again. Is this to do with the oil and im "starving" the vtec as theres not enough oil or is it electrical like traction control or something? My thoughts are oil but just thought id ask, Baffled sump needed?

If your oil levels are correct you should NEVER need a baffled sump for road use. They're only needed on track running sticky rubber and where you're carrying high speed through long corners.

Seriously, if you're having to change down to get into vtec, and it's on the road, then you're not at a speed that warrants a baffled sump unless your oil is VERY low. Checking your oil level would be the first thing to do. It's a problem at high speed/high rev/high G corners running sticky tyres on track, not road use.

no just sayn if i was in 4th and changed down to 3rd to get the fastest possible exit from the corner thats all. Well what else could be causing it?

Is it an FN2 or EP3 banzki??

Changing gear mid corner isn't the fastest way to drive either.

Check your oil level, if it's low, it will drop out of vtec, and yes, it's oil starvation.

As nick has said, track and sticky tyres only need apply for baffled sumps.

Waste of money otherwise.
Just make sure your oil is topped up.

Sorry for text speak, Pretty sure my oil level is ok im not changing gear mid corner, before the corner. The only reason i thought of baffled sump as its obviosly losing oil pressure when the oil is tossed about when going around the corner, nobody else experience this?

How do you know it's losing oil pressure? Do you mean that it drops out of VTEC?

Sorry for text speak, Pretty sure my oil level is ok im not changing gear mid corner, before the corner. The only reason i thought of baffled sump as its obviosly losing oil pressure when the oil is tossed about when going around the corner, nobody else experience this?

Have you actually checked the oil level? If the oil level is correct ie at Max then it wouldn't be surging around under road use enough as to cause oil starvation. It's that simple.

Back