• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Balancer Shaft Delete Kit

This has been tested and offers around 10HP throughout the rev range. As far as I'm aware, the reason why Honda put the balancer shafts in the Z4 has more to do with the different oil pump assembly.

The biggest killer of Honda engines, especially the Kseries, is oil starvation, and I was told by a very clever Japanese man that Honda changed the oil pump because '' Engrish people do not check oil''

I do believe this is the reason why the Z4 has a different oil pump design, from what I have been told Honda wanted to reduce the risk of oil starvation and so they changed the pump in the Euro cars.

Oil starvation has more to do with poor sump design rather than the oil pump design. The K20A and A2 oil pump only starts to struggle above 9k rpm.

Hmm ok, I remember some tests that ERL did a couple of years back, they set up a test rig for the K20 oil pumps. Call it an oil pump dyno :p

The problem is that the K oil pump is running at a ratio of 1.6: (oil pump vs crankshaft speed) IIRC The previous type R motots (Bseries) ran at a 1:1 ratio IIRC. Im sure this has alot to do with the VTC gear, the K demands alot of oil at the top of the engine - even at lower RPM's the VTC actuator needs to move around. This puts the 'i' in 'ivtec' you know :p

It was mentioned that this coupled with the shape of the outlet port on the K pump caused alot of turbulance and thus cavitation issues. If you imagine a whisk, beating up some eggs, you get alot of air in the mix. Stir your hot chocolate fast enough and look at all the bubbles!

(my experiments are humble, albeit not very technical, but, you see what i'm getting at!)

Im not saying that you are wrong, but I feel that you could put the pump in a bucket full of oil and you still see the cavitation issues. I was drawing up the gearing on these things and looked at the fluid dynamics surrounding it all, I should have seen it through with some simulation in Solidworks, but the maths in fluid dynamics are dreadfull, I prefer to get something in my hands if you know what i mean :)

So probably just over £600+VAT for around 10bhp. Cheaper than cams! :smt023
10bhp seems a little optimistic. :(

I'd say that i gained 3lbs/ft on my H22A7. 4bhp at the very most. I had it dynoed after the BS removal mod and the only thing i noticed was extra torque between 5000-7000rpm that wasn't present before the mod.
On the plus side, you may get better MPG as a result, so in theory it might partially pay for itself. ;)

I haven't seen any dyno data yet but that is what TP mentioned yesterday, Im sure we will be able to get the figures from TDI soon.

I've stuck my expression of interest in for a group-buy started on this kit on the above forum.

Jesus, the wife's going to divorce me...

Well got the car back fitted the FD2 OEM parts (not Toda fettled with) today from TDi-North.

Top notch! Gained around 9/10bhp, the car seems much more eager on the power now. :)

Not much extra vibrations, just on lift off and a little bit on idle and I can live with that until I get the next remap done and I'll get 500rpm put on the tick-over level. ;)

How much is the kit you've just had fitted John boy ?

Literally the price of these parts:

• 15100-rrc-003 pump assy., oil
  • 13441-pcx-004 chain (64l)
  • 13460-pnc-004 guide, oil pump chain
  • 11221-pnc-000 plate, baffle
and 5 hours labour.
So a lot less than a Toda Exhaust or probably even a new GruppeM.

Paul at TDi-North is really excited about these because you could fit it to a standard car and not need to Flashpro tune it and you would still get impressive gains. Paul will be able to give the exact price.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that is not to be mistaken with this mod, is that it's not a typical balancer shaft delete mod. It is an oil pump conversion, from the K24 style pump to the original K20a/2 pumps.

If you see any data on the internet about 4G63 or H22a balancer shaft removal kits, don't associate the power gains with what we are doing on the FN2, it is not the same thing.

Definatley impressed with the gains, and the car was looking lovley as always Loxy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a request from another member about vibrations after the fitting of the kit, so I've taken some ultra high quality camera phone videos of the car after the kit had been fitted and given a few hundred miles to bed in.

The first is from inside the car and focuses on any vibrations through the wheel and the obligatory phone on dash for cabin vibrations. As you can see nothing.

[video=youtube;PGRQfuh5Tq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRQfuh5Tq4[/video]

Second is of the engine bay, first with the load of the aircon, then without. As I said camera phone and it loves high pitches sounds, so it has picked up the tappets more than it should... :confused:

[video=youtube;RXB4E45f_TI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXB4E45f_TI[/video]

Big thanks to TDi-North for fitting this kit. It is the single biggest difference I have noticed in the car since I got the Flashpro and if pulls like it has gained 20bhp, not 10. Top notch!
VTECSMILEY.gif

Back