• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bank Holiday Fiddling (calipers)

Right its bank holiday Monday which means its fiddling time. Thinking about painting my calipers which i know has been discussed on various forums but some questions still need answers.

Ok, here are my questions...

1. Do you think painted calipers look chavy?
2. What is your favourite colour combo?
3. Can people post pictures of their calipers please?
4. How long did it take?
5. If i take my calipers off to paint is it easy to re attach them? (No brakes....!)

Im into detailing and spent 7 hours the other day claying , waxing, polishing so this is the next step.

I hate things looking non Honda if you know what i mean. I hate things looking like they dont belong. Hard to explain.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377448290.070594.jpg

Was thinking silver, black and red.

Thanks for your time people i really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the nicest finish I have seen is: colour of your choice (Red, black, blue etc.), paint the entire caliper with a couple of even coats, once dry, file back the embossed 'Type-R' lettering, which leaves a crisp consistent finish. I prefer that, than trying to paint the letters individually.

Like this:
cush-albums-cw+ctr+r0419-picture2460-red-callipers-ive-then-gone-over-type-r-logo-power-file-remove-paint-so-stands-out.jpg

Not sure then mate, as it seems to be showing perfectly for me. If you're all about things "looking Honda", blue wouldn't be my first choice. As you say Red, Black or Silver etc.

When I've painted mine, didn't bother with a base coat. Just bought some proper caliper paint, Folitec for example.

Used plenty of brake cleaner and a good wire brush and/or nail brush for the difficult bis.

Mask up the rubbers etc and put the paint on. A couple of good coats should be enough, but take your time.

Oh yes!! Don't forget to cover the floor below the brakes. You'll drip the paint. We all have done it and the paint is a b*stard to get off.

It's a pretty easy thing to do. Tbh, I don't take the calipers off, I just paint everything in situ.

I use hammerite, blue ftw! It does a great job. I just gave them a clean and another coat, as they looked a bit patchy after a year, though I think mostly that was from me bashing them with a brush while cleaning the wheels.

They're D1 spec nuts. Be aware; if you fit aftermarket nuts, you need lug adapters as the OEM wheels have a rounded taper not a straight bevel.

Back