• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Been running car on no oil! Ep3

Car today was hesitating before hitting the vtec checked engine oil and dip stick was bone dry! I knew type r's used a lot of oil but was okay on last check and didn't think it would've been that much. Getting changed today but is it too late is the damage done?:(

Only time will tell I'm afraid, won't have helped hitting high revs while its been low. How often you been checking it?

If you are lucky and have caught it in time. Check the dumped oil for shavings when you change it.

What grade of oil have you been using and how often do you check the level, have you been thrashing it while the level was low?

I have been using 5w-40 for over 6 years with my EP3 and it hardly uses a drop but i still check the level every 1-2 weeks or before i take it out for a good thrashing on the B roads round my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shells might of picked up, might be worth changing them?

my friends blew a hole in the block shortly after running low on oils

I must admit same as stu1873, I used 5w40 fully synthetic for 4 years in my EP3 and it never used a drop.
And I used to bounce mine off the limiter every time I drove it. Not like thrash everywhere, but at least once, every time I was out, the limiter got a pa-pa-pa as it hit the red line.

I believe the oil light is for oil pressure and if it comes on the damge is probably already done.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

I have read that the EP3 can use upto a cup full of oil every full tank but i guess this is completely down to how you drive it. I have to top mine up every couple of months so i prob use half that amount with general driving. The K20 is a pretty hardy engine all in all so you may well have been lucky but as R'ash has mentioned, time will tell. You must make sure you check all aspects of your car to keep it up together, Tyre pressures and Oil being the most common.

I have read that the EP3 can use upto a cup full of oil every full tank but i guess this is completely down to how you drive it. I have to top mine up every couple of months so i prob use half that amount with general driving. The K20 is a pretty hardy engine all in all so you may well have been lucky but as R'ash has mentioned, time will tell. You must make sure you check all aspects of your car to keep it up together, Tyre pressures and Oil being the most common.

It states in the owners manual to expect to use up to 1l every 800miles.

Car today was hesitating before hitting the vtec checked engine oil and dip stick was bone dry! I knew type r's used a lot of oil but was okay on last check and didn't think it would've been that much. Getting changed today but is it too late is the damage done?:(

How's your car ?

Back