• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

belt or chain advice

Sorry if this has been covered but my son has got a 2009 fn2 gt type r very nice with service history can some one answer does this have a cambelt or chain many thanks for your help.

If it rattles or throws a light then it's time to change it. Our track EP3 has 138k on it's original chain and it still fine at the minute *touch wood*.

^ Aye it's not worth the risk IMO. 100k for piece of mind and is generally accepted as good practice.

I was reading about this the other day. Someone who used to be a Honda mechanic said that unless you're having problems with the chain it doesn't need to be replaced. It should last the life of the car. Not sure if that's right, not an expert in that area

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I was reading about this the other day. Someone who used to be a Honda mechanic said that unless you're having problems with the chain it doesn't need to be replaced. It should last the life of the car. Not sure if that's right, not an expert in that area

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

I've been told the same by the chaps at performance Autoworks and mates who work at cars. To say it's good practice is not quite accurate. If it's not showing symptoms it's purely a peace of mind job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue is the tensioner itself, through neglect (poor oil, not servicing, ragging from cold etc) it wears out and can't hold the tension. The result is the chain stretches. Unless there's an issue then I wouldn't bother spending the money on changing it.

Changed mine around 90k as it was off for the oil pump anyway.

Perfect health with hardly any stretch so I'd say it's worth leaving unless it starts rattling or throws an EML.

Honda originally prescribed 100k in the early manuals. Mine was 1 tooth out at 90k miles & no signs of performance loss or EML. There's plenty of pictures out there of stretched chains from working engines.

Y'all can do what you want but from personal experience, I'd always change before 100k.

Back