• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Benz 30th Anniversary Type R *246bhp 172lbft*

So I had my new Piper Exhaust fitted this week along with Powerflex engine mounts at Revolution Gateshead, thanks to the lads at Revolution for doing a top job despite some lambda sensor issues. They managed to get the secondary one out but the primary was beyond rescue which meant a little wait for a replacement but can't be helped.

I'm very impressed with the results, it definitely pulls faster especially in the Vtec. It also has a nice deep burble and is ear bleeding loud just before the Vtec kicks in lol.

I'm booked in at TDi North on Saturday morning for a k100 and remap so I'm very excited to see how much power I have now and how she will drive after. I'm also going to get a dB test done, just to check I'm still OK for the track, sure its fine but its a big jump from stock exhaust up to full system with sports cat.

I've uploaded a few pics of exhaust and others I haven't posted yet..... enjoy.

piper2_zps16cmijfb.jpg

piper1_zpslpbnhanb.jpg

piper4_zpsmrfrh32l.jpg

piper5_zpsyvhoyeg0.jpg

Piper Manifold and Powerflex Engine Mount
20150228_151402_zpsbttdlzuj.jpg

Engine Bay Cleaned, still need that rocker cover refurbishing though.
HPIM3162_zpsircgguw6.jpg

30th Anniversary Carbon Door Sill Plates
HPIM3168_zpsrc5zxsnf.jpg

Engine Bay Cleaned
HPIM3165_zps2pq4omvz.jpg

Nice to see beading after a good wax.
20150301_164330_zpscswz4zvd.jpg

She is a little bit rusty underneath and behind the engine which is concerning me, any tips for clearing the rust?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today arrived... Yey!!!

Unfortunately not all good so i'll split my posts. First the lambda sensor which Revolution fitted has failed after 10 days lol. The lads at TDi North said it's due to it not being an OEM part.

Then on the way home my clutch went spongy and would not change gear at high revs, very embarrassing pulling off a roundabout in 3rd gear into the vtec up to red line , go for 4th and it wouldn't go in!

I put a post up in the faults section and Loxy has suggested a clutch fluid change, if that doesn't work then new clutch so watch this space... I did top the fluid up and it is a lot better...... grrrr cars lol.

Now the good bit:

234 bhp!!!!!

attachment.php

11051979_887840344571235_2318885688958569116_n_zpshybypazh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The lads at TDi North where great, I enjoyed watching my car being tuned and the noise was immense. It was also good to have a look around some of there projects.

I was very impressed with 234 bhp obviously, I was expecting a lot less. I was told that if I fit a Skunk2 inlet manifold it will easily achieve 140 bhp.

Its such a huge change to the car for the better too, the red line is now at 8500 rpm and I'm still looking for the rev limiter, Vtec now kicks in at 5500 rpm and the acceleration in the Vtec is mind blowing. Usual things like shift light and launch control put on it too although not tried that with my clutch issues.

11059289_887840294571240_8672162817909151111_n_zpsqufo768d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next question is where should i stick my new TDi North Sticker???

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 179
That's a healthy curve, the vtec kick looks FUN! You must be raging that the clutch started playing silly b*ggers on the way home. It does sound like air in the system, definitely try bleeding it first.

I've had a temperamental lambda sensor for two years, so I've read up on them (though never got around to buying one lol). It seems very common that the cheap ones fail within two weeks.

Best sticker placement I've seen is just above the headlight, I think it was on EP3Pete's car.

Yeah the Vtec is lots of fun now Jimbo and I've found my rev limiter hanging out around 9000 rpm :smt023 I can't believe how much better she is to drive now, I'm hooked on this car all over again.

Yesterday was nice and sunny in the North East so I spent all day playing clutches, my hands are cut to threads but I managed to do a full clutch fluid change and fingers crossed it has fixed my clutch issues so thanks Loxy and Jimbo for that advice, owe you both a pint.

The old fluid I thought looked ok but closer inspection found it to be very cloudy, it's now all clean and I can see the bottom of the reservoir from the top. That bleed screw is in the worst possible place though if you don't have a ramp, managed to get a 1/4 ratchet with a 8mm socket on it from above but it was very tight, only one click on the ratchet.

The clutch peddle is now nice and high, bight point is in a better place so the big test will be at Croft Circuit on the 20th.

Track day at Croft Circuit on Friday....... Track wheels fitted

IMG_20150314_182754_zpsmxmljyjq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking forward to seeing how the car feels on track after recent modifications.

:smt022Just tried to fit my TDI north sticker, looks like when it was made they got masking tape in it so the 'north' stuck to it on the sticky side..... Anyone got a spare one?

The latest track day went well at Croft Circuit, very happy with the performance but i defiantly need to focus a lot more on handling before looking for more ponies under the bonnet. My dB reading was 98 so the new exhaust was fine and the remap with launch control meant I could only rev to 4k for the test which sounded great bouncing off the rev limiter in the pits.

My first run out only lasted a couple of laps, it felt like all my tyres had gone flat...... back in the pits my pressures where up to 45 psi and as I'm still on Kenda's on my track wheels they had no grip at all. I dropped the pressures down to 25 psi when cold and had no issues at all for the rest of the day, I even found the old Kenda's quite sticky in the corners, not up to track tyre status but manageable and lots of fun.

Sharing a garage with Carl Swift who was putting his Civic Cup EP3 through it's paces.

IMG_20150320_181848_zpse8vhntvz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A Nice machine which has given me a few ideas, hard to think it was a £1400 standard type r in December. Apparently Nankangs are the tyre of choice, bigger brands out there but Carl said these things have epic amounts of grip and seeing him on track I'd have to agree lol.

All in all a great day and even on standard springs and road tyres ep3's are fantastic track cars and I'd recommend anyone to give it a go.

Good little DIY job done this week, handbrake adjusted. A very simple little job.

20150324_171742_zpsdrrmbrpy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also gave the inertia a good clean out and thought it worth including a new ecu pic....

20150324_175755_zpsiiugzfxb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking good bud!

I must admit that I've been tempted with a set of sticky Nankangs to abuse, never heard much about them though. Let me know if you get a set. I do wonder how OEM/eibach springs would cope with sticky tyres though.

Oh, and if you strip the interior hardcore track stylee, then you can adjust the handbrake anytime. Any excuse :lol:

Back