• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Benz 30th Anniversary Type R *246bhp 172lbft*

Yeah, the skunk2 knob is great, solid shifter bushes are a nice pocket money mod too. The buddy club shifter has been on my want list for three years now!

Mine does get thrown around a track occasionally, though the only proper track around here is knockhill and that's a real car killer. Mine is more of a back road maniac at heart really.

Thanks User1martyn, i'll try as funds allow lol.

Yeah Jimbo, got the solid shifter bushes fitted, they made a noticable diffrence too. I got the BuddyClub shifter on fleabay.

Always fancied trying knockhill, croft is fast but I fancy something more technical next year.... to be fair though also had lots of fun on the back roads :smt045

A bit of headlight TLC today, I did think about an upgrade to facelift lights but with it been an Anniversary model I decided to keep them standard. So working with what I've got I purchased a Quixx headlight restoration kit. I know people are raving about the 3m kit but this one was only £10.89 and includes a lens sealer.

Before
20150822_151343_zps63uvcfpo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I was impressed with the quality of the kit, although this one does not have the drill attachments so needs elbow grease, there is however enough kit to do a full restore on 4 headlamps and enough sealer to last a year or more (suggested to re-apply sealer every 3 months).

After

20150822_162701_zpsq3c99nlx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
So i've had a brakes nightmare, booked on a track day for 4th September and had some new premiere front calipers on order (the ones with Type R Embossed on them) but they didn't turn up in time. So I decided to just swap the front pads for the track day and found this:

20150903_141223_zpsdujiuw8t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and that was the good one lol,

I had some other calipers so did an overhaul on them (thanks to jimbothemagnificent for his how to) and fitted, unfortunately when bleeding the system I found a rear caliper with a ceased bleed nipple.... after all but snapping that I then had to go purchase a refurbished rear caliper too!!!

I'll be honest after a week like that I was ready for selling. But the day at Croft arrived and I'm happy again.

Bencroft01_zpsg66gvfex.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The FRSU and lower setup has transformed it in the corners, I didn't have full confidence in the brakes seen as the day before they where in bits but i noticed a massive improvement in handling and already thinking about another track day.

I think the next big modification has to be a LSD, I was struggling to get the power down out of the slow corners (felt like I was sat waiting forever for some traction) any one else with LSD's got any advice?

Just uploaded a drive by on the pit straight at Croft Circuit.... love that roar.

[video]https://youtu.be/HknFrWi4W58[/video]

Where did you get the restoration kit from for the headlights?

I got the 3M kit but it didn't do it brilliantly on the first one so got a another light but that needs polishing as well.

Was looking to do the shifter bushes as well, which ones did you go for and are they easy to swap over?

Where did you get the restoration kit from for the headlights?

I got the 3M kit but it didn't do it brilliantly on the first one so got a another light but that needs polishing as well.

Was looking to do the shifter bushes as well, which ones did you go for and are they easy to swap over?

Hi mate, the headlight kit was from ebay.... link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=quixx+headlight&_sop=15

I used the tegiwa solid shifter bushes, not a difficult job but it is a little fiddly, I think Jimbo did a how to guide either in the how to section or on his build thread.

It's been a quite few weeks as far as modifications go, decided I need to save to buy a house and a LSD so lets see what comes first lol.

All that been said I had the chance to run at Croft again with a few mates last week.............. saying it was a wet day was an understatement!!

3 sighting laps done I decided to pit to make a few adjustments then headed out. For those who don't know Croft there are some very high speed corners at the back of the circuit and on my 4th lap of the day coming out of the Jim Clarke S's I found myself pulling 450 deg turn and sliding backwards into a field.......a few more tweaks in the pits and the rest of the day was great fun finding my wet limits.

IMG_6243_zpswmmlonee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally got 10 min to do an update:

Lots of things been going on, had an Invite to Mimms Honda Day a few weeks back. Met up with Trixibell and a few others, convoy down to Peterbrough the night before to meet a load more for food and drinks then on to the show the next day. I was on the epoc stand which fortunatly was in the arena with show and shine and a select few clubs.

Prep the day before
20151127_122025_zpszjg5qzr9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Convoy Down with Annie in the Fast Lane (Thanks Trixibell for Picture :smt023)

IMG_20151210_200621_zpsyfgqmhia.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_20151213_200217_zps5dvgc2pw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151129_134746_zpsm8i6yvgd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also made some Modifications for the Show:

Blox Gear Knob, weighted 450g
20151127_140420_zpsxelwmfsh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Start Button

IMG_20151127_141041_zpsikjs3dew.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I also fitted an alloy type r plate to my drivers floor mat, it was getting a bit tired and the rest are all fine so it was a cheap and effective fix.

20151127_140431_zps7o4jva9r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Engine Bay Clean too

IMG_20151127_133046_zpszkvlvdu3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Unfortunatly the weekend didn't end too well....... to be continued.......

Nice project from start to present!

LSD will make a big difference finding grip on slow corner exits! Tyres also make a big difference too!

So leaving the arena after Mimms I had a little bump, wont go into how and why but I'm kicking myself. Fortunately only slight damage, cracked the bumper and bust a headlight bracket.

As a temporary repair I drilled out the area that was cracked on the bumper, fiber-glassed behind the damage and then used bumper filler on the front. I also took the chance to smooth out the number plate recess. I gave it a coat of plastic primer and NHB paint, I then sprayed the whole bumper with matt black Plasti Coat because I knew I'd never be happy with the finish from paint cans.

I found a pair of headlights which have had there inserts painted black and also fitted a plate location bracket and JDM size number plate

20151220_135052_zpsdziej4tn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20151220_135120_zpslvslt3u3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm really pleased with the finish considering it's a DIY job done in a cluttered garage and I like the look too, still need to sort a front mugen splitter and when I do that in the spring I'll get a professional spray job done but this will see me through the winter roads...... Happy Days :D/

Nice project from start to present!

LSD will make a big difference finding grip on slow corner exits! Tyres also make a big difference too!

Yeah Krzys I've been in touch with Stevie from Grinspeed £890 fixed price for supply and fit of LSD going to do the clutch too and check the syncro's.... just need the cash haha

Synchro's should be fine, but getting anything else changed that you can afford to will be worth while, like the input shaft bearings etc, Stevie will know what to do if you ask him about it.

I ended up going for a 5.1 final drive, an Accord 6th gear and carbon synchro's too but that'll add a fair bit to your bill!

Had a quite few months with my 30th but time to get things moving again. Just booked into GrinSpeed for the following:

OEM Clutch
Facelift Fly Wheel
M Factory LSD
FD2 Final Drive Box.

All being well this is happening on the 3rd. Also ordered a new pair of Eagle F1's for the front..... finally killed the Falkens so it will be F1's all round now :smt023.

Also booked my place at JapFest on the 24th April at Silverstone, If you are there come say Hi.

Finally someone fitted a full piper exhaust system!!!
iv been looking at getting the piper manifold+sports cat for a while but tdi north say they are not very well designed and say your better of with oem.
Think I'm going to go for it, does it drone at all @70mhp?

Back