• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Best Clutch/Flywheel combo for S/C + IPS Cams Setup?

I'll be getting my Quaife LSD fitted soon and I need to start thinking about a clutch and flywheel change.

My target setup is a 9psi S/C with IPS S/C Cams so I need to ensure what I buy will be suitable for this setup.

Although my car is only used at weekends for fun I want to avoid an on/off clutch if possible.

Whats the best combo for me to go for? A few people seem to have the clutchmaster setup for big power, how does this fair to the toda combo?

Any help much appreciated :D

- Kevin.

Clutchmasters FX300 seems the choice to be honest or the Toda

The new Toda one I tried in TP`s car did seem very stiff though and maybe a bit on and off, well stiffer than my clutch anyway :)

down to personal choice really but I know Scott just had a clutchmasters clutch and flywheel fitted by CPL with the set up you talking about and is finding the clutch very good and not on and off at all.

The Toda one I tried was pretty heavy and fairly on/off (Hi-Power).

I think people forget, or don't know, that there are several options reagarding Toda clutch kits:

1.) Toda Hi-Power Single Clutch - Aimed more towards track cars than road use
2.) Toda Heavy Duty Clutch Kit - Race Puk - Race Kit
3.) Toda Heavy Duty Clutch Kit - Street Puk - What people in the UK used to buy, primarily a street clutch with a full face.

Hi-Power
product_k20a_singleclutch.jpg

Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
product_k20a_clutchkit.jpg

EDIT: Here's Toda's explanation:
There are two types of clutch for the K20A: Heavy Duty and HiPower. The heavy duty (shown above) can be used on the standard flywheel or on the TODA lightweight steel one as shown in the picture. It is available with either an organic (street use) driven plate or a 3-blade metal (race use) type which will transmit higher power figures than the organic albeit with a loss of some drivability.

The HiPower kit (shown top) is an outright race component and MUST be used as a complete kit including flywheel due to the special type of construction which allows even higher power levels to be transmitted than the Heavy Duty type, even with a lighter rotational mass.

HTH 8)

Tarticus said:
Clutchmasters FX300 seems the choice to be honest or the Toda

The new Toda one I tried in TP`s car did seem very stiff though and maybe a bit on and off, well stiffer than my clutch anyway :)

down to personal choice really but I know Scott just had a clutchmasters clutch and flywheel fitted by CPL with the set up you talking about and is finding the clutch very good and not on and off at all.

Yes the fx300 clutch has impressed me so far - its like a standard clutch you can give plenty abuse!!

Drove TP's car yesterday with a Toda Hi-Power clutch, although it was heavier than OEM it was still really simple to drive.

For commuting it'd be a real bugger, but if you live out in the sticks then it'd be fine. It's only the inital pulling away that requires a deft left peg.

CTR_Paul said:
Drove TP's car yesterday with a Toda Hi-Power clutch, although it was heavier than OEM it was still really simple to drive.

For commuting it'd be a real bugger, but if you live out in the sticks then it'd be fine. It's only the inital pulling away that requires a deft left peg.

Agreed with that, it requires a bit more concentration on pulling away compared to a stock clutch but once on the move it's really positive 8)

Back