• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

best engine oil

Been asked loads most use 5-40 fully synthetic some use 0-40 fs I use Castrol Edge but you can use other brands if you choose so.

Does it matter if you put a different oil in ? As i dont know what oil they put in when serviced it, not had the car long. I have been told by Honda dealership that 5-30 castrol edge is the best if you drive the car normally and rag it now and then but if using it for track days then 0-30 is the best as its thinner. Anyone know if this is right !? Need to top my oil up today as its really low !!!

Does it matter if you put a different oil in ? As i dont know what oil they put in when serviced it, not had the car long. I have been told by Honda dealership that 5-30 castrol edge is the best if you drive the car normally and rag it now and then but if using it for track days then 0-30 is the best as its thinner. Anyone know if this is right !? Need to top my oil up today as its really low !!!

The oils will mix fine, no need to worry about that. The best option if you are looking to squeeze every last bhp out of it is a 0w-20, but that might lead to high oil consumption and possibly extra engine wear. Most Type Rs that we deal with use a 5w-40 for road and track use as it will give plenty of protection and reduce the oil consumption rate.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G/ULE, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for your reply. I have just topped it up with 0w-30 and doing a service on it soon so I'll put 5w-40 in when I put new filter on.

Back