• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

BHP figures what you think with this set up?

Hey guys just a quick question. Recently had a catback fitted and I'm thinking about changing it. I currently have the air box mod with ITG filter and CAF and a catback. I'm not after big gains really but what kind of BHP figures would I be looking at if I went for a header with sports cat, catback and eventually a hondata reflash with map? I'll be keeping the intake as it is and the car is a 54 plate EP3 CTR. I'll probably be looking at a full piper as I want it relatively quiet. Do you think I'll be looking at around 215-220 bhp or a little more with this set up?
Cheers in advance :)

You'd be best off getting it all fitted and mapped at the same time, especially with a header.

To be honest if your not looking for big gains then don't bother with a Piper header and Sports CAT because its alot of money and as Ed mentioned above you would really need it mapping to tie everything in together.
I have got a Piper Manifold on mine with a De-cat but I was previously running the Piper 200 cell Sports CAT and the quality is fantastic, its not very restrictive either which is good.

Mine pulled 241.8bhp with the cat and 247 with the de-cat

You'd be best off getting it all fitted and mapped at the same time, especially with a header.

Yeah I would do it all in one hit, I'd get the parts first then have it all fitted and mapped together.

To be honest if your not looking for big gains then don't bother with a Piper header and Sports CAT because its alot of money and as Ed mentioned above you would really need it mapping to tie everything in together.
I have got a Piper Manifold on mine with a De-cat but I was previously running the Piper 200 cell Sports CAT and the quality is fantastic, its not very restrictive either which is good.

Mine pulled 241.8bhp with the cat and 247 with the de-cat

Wow they are decent figures, wouldn't have expected that much, might be tempted now :lol:.

The reason I was going to do header and sports cat was because I have a catback from Longlife and at first thought it was pretty good but I ain't too fussed on it now to be honest, I've had some problems which has been rectified and the customer service at Longlife is good but it seems like it's bouncing around or hitting a heatsheild or something when I'm on rougher roads or going over speed bumps etc now, it's probably an easy fix but it means taking back to Longlife to sort it not to void the warranty, since I had it done in June I've been back and for there 3 or 4 times it's annoying me hence why I'm not fussed but the way they have put it on is they have welded it on just before the flange that bolts the cat and b pipe together and the flange itself looks really rusted etc so chances are just changing the catback now would be difficult and could damage the cat so it would be easier to get catback and cat but then I may as well get a header too.

Thanks for the input guys :)

If you fancy a bit more power then go for it but changing the header does have a fairly significant impact on the noise levels, motorway journeys can be pretty tiresome with a stainless catback & header.
I do highly rate the Piper Header and Sports CAT though, great quality and well priced compared to JDM alternatives whilst still giving very good power gains.

The Sports CAT is pretty pricey at around £295 and the Header is about £375, if you opt for the sports CAT you don't actually need the car mapping if you buy an O2 simulator because that prevents the engine management light coming on.
It is ofcoure worth while getting it mapped too but its not essential with that set-up, mine ran fine for over 6 months before it was mapped :)

If you do go down the route of looking for more power then a K100 and RBC inlet manifold are essential

Hmmm got some decision making to do, if the catback was bolted on at the flange I would just unbolt it and change it but the way it's been stuck on and the look of the flange and bolts I can see me encountering problems but yeah I've only heard good things about piper and the fact that the catback is one of the quietest you can buy that's why I was thinking of piper. I was going to get the reflash and map with what I got already but I've lost all interest in the exhaust that is on there. I'll have to have another look and make my mind up.

Or I could price up another custom job see if I could get a standard replacement full exhaust it would then be pretty much the same as standard but just be made from stainless steel, I doubt I would get good power gains but it should be quiet and I may see a little gain I suppose it would come down to price then.

Or you could just get the k100 and don't bother with aftermarket manifolds if you don't want more noise. Still makes good gains on a standard engine. Mine made 223 and 165lbft on a aem cai and supersprint b pipe.

Yeah there are still good gains to be made without changing the header and cat.
Pete's EP3 in the members rides section made 232 bhp with a piper catback, RBC, Injen CAI & K100 which is really impressive considering its running the standard exhaust manifold & Cat.

Its all down to personal choice but if you are doing long distances in the car for your daily commute or do long runs on the weekend then you certainly don't want it noisy.

Yeah that's what I was going to do in the first place but I do want to change my catback and I really think the cat will be damaged when taking the catback off so I'd have to get a new cat as well. I was just having thoughts then thinking if I would have to get a new catback and cat may as well do the full log but I don't really want a lot of noise. To save money though I suppose I could leave the header buy a standard cat and then a new catback.

I was interested to see what power output I would get if I did this too so, so far everyone has been pretty helpful thanks guys.

Yeah there are still good gains to be made without changing the header and cat.
Pete's EP3 in the members rides section made 232 bhp with a piper catback, RBC, Injen CAI & K100 which is really impressive considering its running the standard exhaust manifold & Cat.

Its all down to personal choice but if you are doing long distances in the car for your daily commute or do long runs on the weekend then you certainly don't want it noisy.

Originally I only wanted to tweak the car anyway and I don't have long commutes but I do like to just jump in it and just drive I'm not a huge fan of loud exhausts I had an MG once the exhaust on that was loud could hardly have a conversation in it in the end it did my head in sold that to get my first ctr.

Yeah loud exhausts are annoying after a while, my old catback consisted of a Spoon N1 and Supersprint Un-silenced B-Pipe which was pretty damn loud.
I then added the Piper Header & Sports CAT and it was unbearable on long journeys, the drone was crazy and it was playing havoc with my ears.
I did a decibel test and it was 119.9 at 4K rpm so as you can imagine doing 80mph on the motorway was not much fun.

I then swapped the Supersprint for a Spoon B-Pipe which has a silencer and I also bought a Spoon Bung which couple together made a significant reduction in the noise levels.
Since then I have swapped the Sports CAT for a De-cat so it's slightly louder now but nowhere near as bad as it was

Best aftermarket system for low noise is probably the mugen twinloop or the piper catback with duel silencers

whoa bet your ears bled :lol: I'm happy with the sound of the exhaust I got just not with little problems I've experienced since having it fitted so want rid. Thanks for your input I'll have a think about what to do. I'll probably go with the piper catback I just know that cat will be a problem.

I'll be quiet honest and say that I find alot of these HP figures are rather optimistic. A mate of mine has fitted a ctr engine in his Lotus, with 4 branch mani., air filter and K Pro. After hours of mapping, by a very respected mapper, it made 215 bhp.
He did say however that the car drives superb.

I fail to see how a manifold, induction kit, exhaust and remap can yield the 30 bhp + figures being quoted.
On my Evo I had to raise the boost by 10 psi, air filter, HKS exhaust, larger turbo elbow and remap to gain 50 bhp.

Different dynos give different figures.

Like you say it's the gain.

Yeah I'm always optimistic and I always try and base figures at there lowest that way it's a bonus if it's above what you expected, but as above different dynos give different figures. I'm not after huge gains anyway so if I did do header, sports cat and catback with management I would be happy with 215-220 but there are a few issues that I've mentioned above that will affect my decision.

I'll be quiet honest and say that I find alot of these HP figures are rather optimistic. A mate of mine has fitted a ctr engine in his Lotus, with 4 branch mani., air filter and K Pro. After hours of mapping, by a very respected mapper, it made 215 bhp.
He did say however that the car drives superb.

I fail to see how a manifold, induction kit, exhaust and remap can yield the 30 bhp + figures being quoted.
On my Evo I had to raise the boost by 10 psi, air filter, HKS exhaust, larger turbo elbow and remap to gain 50 bhp.

I guess you dont know too much about the K20a?

Also have you ever seen the header design you have to use in the back of a lotus? Its fecking woeful, also its tough to fit a better inlet manifold as the smaller OEM prb is usually already touching something.

Back