• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Big end bearing rumble

I have an EP3 with 85,000 miles.

When the car is started first thing in the morning I can hear what sounds like big end bearings rumbling. It goes off after 3 seconds when the oil pressure comes up. If the car is restarted during the day it's not there, only after the oil has drained down overnight.

Something in the back of my mind says this is normal with this engine.

Can anyone confirm or should I replace the bearing shells.

Thanks.

You sure it's not a heat shield ? As when you start it in the morning the "choke" will be on there for more revs making it vibrate

Darcy

Darcy, doesn't sound like a vibrating heat shield as it's too "heavy" and stops within a few seconds. It also doesn't make any sound if restarted during the day.

I'm not sure if the engine has hydraulic tappets but it sounds too fast for tappets, more like a big end rumble.

Not really, it's only there for about 3 seconds. It goes when the oil pressure light goes out. That's why I think it's big end bearing rumble.

If I can turn the starter for a few seconds before starting, so as to build up oil pressure there is no noise. However this is difficult to do.

If I start it again duriing the day it makes no noise.

Back