• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Big engine problem!!

Hey people. Iv been using this site for quite a while now but never really posted anything.

I have quite a problem with my car. I'm guessing that its managed to suck in water from the AEM CAI.

First of all, its an standard ep3 with the only mod being an AEM CAI

EML has been on for about 6 month pointing to the o2 sensor on the cat.

The car ticks over and starts, it idles rough, bogs down and cuts out. If i rev it, it revs up then cuts out

Iv cleaned the ICV and reset the TPS and changed the spark plugs. There is no milky substance on the dipstick.
what do i need to do next?

Thanks and sorry for the long post

I doubt its water intake related mate as this would normally snap the internals, you would have had to go through a pretty deep amount of water too which you would definitely have remembered as we are talking half way up your wheels.

I imagine you have answered your own question buddy and your O2 sensor need replacing, the fuelling is probably what is causing it to run rough.

o2 sensors been like that for ages, it happened while the car being stuck in a muddy puddle, the filter was wet and muddy due to not having an arch liner.

o2 sensors will both be replaced tomorrow, ** report back with a video and the results of changing o2 sensors.

its the o2 sensors just get them changed and it should run alot better. mine didnt run well when I needed an o2 sensor.

Thats a different clip showing similar problem.

Anyways, got new o2 sensors fitted. Now we dont have any fault codes. Car still runds the same, exhaust gasses are super hot. Iv looked at spark plugs and it looks like the 4th one (on the right towards gearbox) isnt sparking in the engine as the other three look like they have heated up and the 4th one looks untouched.

any one else had similar problems?

Thats a different clip showing similar problem.

Anyways, got new o2 sensors fitted. Now we dont have any fault codes. Car still runds the same, exhaust gasses are super hot. Iv looked at spark plugs and it looks like the 4th one (on the right towards gearbox) isnt sparking in the engine as the other three look like they have heated up and the 4th one looks untouched.

any one else had similar problems?

swap your coil over also check for power to it ( 4th)coil

quick update.

IACV is properly clean and spins well... however, is there a way of opening and closing the valve while its on the car to make sure it moved when plugged in.

The car is only drivable if i disconnect TPS, purge control valve and MAP sensor. only revs upto 3K but is drivable.

If all the above connectors are plugged in, the car wont drive, it will keep bogging down and stalling.

TPS has been measured at closed throttle .49 and 4.8 WOT (wide open throttle)

How do i test the other sensors?

Thanks.

All your help is very much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Back