• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Big loud Thuds while braking (scary) :(

Hi

My Type R was into the local honda for "health check" which cost nothing last week. Results are Rear disc slight corrosion and I need a clean of rear brake pads etc. Fair enough was going to book it in for it.
However tonight it has developed a really loud thud sound when braking randomly from any speed. It so harsh im pretty sure I felt it in my foot from the brake pedal it sounds like its coming from the front wheel not sure which side. it LOUD and a little scary lol.

Any ideas what it could be its got me worried it something that could be unsafe. Also is it just a coincidence this happens a few days after there checks?
I want to phone my local garage (not honda) and get im to put it up on ramps and check all the brakes, suspension, engine mounts, any all those others bits I dont have a clue about. That sound like a good idea.

ps. its an 04 with 64k on it now. Serviced just a few months ago. and healthcheck last week.

any help very much appreciated as im quite worried.

Thanks.

Only thing I have experienced like that is when I had a so called health check on a - dont laugh - Sierra.
On the way home one of the bolts that hold the caliper onto the hub came out!

Just take it back, it's not worth fannying about with brake issues, you could die.

indeed, does sound like something is loose. Sooner you can get it onto ramps the better as it could be causing further damage

Have a general look around, jack each corner up check the wheel bearings, pads, disc and caliper.
Saves money in the long run plus builds your mechanical knowledge up, I found most jobs are easy if your not botherd about getting your hands a little dirty.

If it is something they have done take it back, could just be shims have not been replaced when looking at pads etc.

i had that thud feeling through the brake pedal and it felt like it was coming from the front, turned out to be the front sub frame being loose when i had my ES mounts fitted, just tightened them up and it was fine from there on. HTH

thanks folks, phoned honda again bunch on useless gits. As usual trying to squirm there way out of anything. Its pretty simple it went in with a squeek it came out with a bang. They have done something.

checked the nuts there all tight, old guy across the road is retired mechanic looked quickly at brakes and suspension mounts and engine mounts said they all looked fine. Said its no doubt something under the car.

So its booked in for 18th and I have told them im not paying a penny to them. Seriously we have 1 honda garage in a 30 miles radius and as far as im aware no decent independants. GRRR

Cheers folks.

just found out my dad has a set of drive on ramps so going to look under the car today, now as im a mechanical noob what on earth should I look for and how do I know if its broken lol.

I know thats nooby as heck but meh/ :D

look for anything loose or doesn't look right. if you find anything your not sure of take a pic and post it on the thread. I'm sure you'll be told if it looks ok or not on here.

hh the saga continues.

So basically after I went in with a squeek and came out with a bang I have not really driven it much and it turns out this was a good thing. As basically I got my local garage to look at it and he was shocked and said it was pretty dangerous. He says the pad on the FRONT discs had cane apart and it was floating freely in the caliper. And that there is no way they should of missed that. Couple that with me phoning honda and asking if my car was safe to drive before they had me in to look at it again and being told yes our healthcheck says so im pretty peeved to say the least.

So im now going to be without my car all weekend with no brakes. So I phoned honda and asked for the service manager who was a rude little sod and basically was like WTF you think its our fault. (like duh) and what was I looking for out of this so I explained how I was told it was safe to drive when in reality it wasnt and he could not have been less interested. HMM so he is like bring it in monday and I will take a look at it ... :roll:

So phoned arnold clark customer service who is supposedly getting the branch manager to phone me within the next 24 hours. Oh this is fun. I think I might just get the damn thing fixed and not touch these monkeys with a barge pole in future.

I had many issue with the Honda garage I bought mine from, the mechanics were so bad they put a drive shaft boot in too far so all my gearbok oil leaked out and tried to blame me for it and missed loads of things on their so called multi point check. Unfortunately the manger was a good as a chocolate teapot.

I would pay someone else to do it and at least know it's safe. Hope you get it sorted.

Yeh Im just waiting on my local garage phoning back to see if they managedt to get the parts. think im going to get them to just fix it and try get money from them afterwards. Will be like getting blood from a stone :D

I'll be watching this thread.

Had this a couple of times now intermittently. It is scary but I've never found anything wrong...well, bar forgetting to tighten the wheel nuts when I did the discs. :rolleyes: But, it’s still happening after I’d (Newannaive) sorted that.

was the pad came off ruined the discs etc , new pads and discs fitted by my local garage and have all the old bits, will be chasing this like dog chases its tail. I will be getting some sort of compensation if I have to write to sir arnold himself lol.

Banging gone and car now fine untill the next thing goes lol. :D

A sticking pad in the caliper will also cause this loud bang, if a set of brakes has'nt been serviced for a while then rust can build up and get in the way of the pad moving in the carrier.

Its a very common problem with hondas, you can simple sort this out by removing the pads and regreasing every moving part.

i had a similar issue with mine, would make a knock when i put my foot on the brake, 3 garages later including honda no joy couldnt locate the knock, so my back garden mechanic mate put it on his drive on ramps got under had a look round and found some kind of shield over the drive shaft loose, some how a bolt came out? so he nipped it back up, and hey presto 5minutes later knocking gone, i honestly think garages sometimes just can't be bothered.

Neily is spot on with the commen though.

Aronold Clark is where you went wrong buddy, I could have told you they were a shower of wan*ers. They don't do the work that is supposed to be done, and thats for any of the branch brands. Even when you pick up the car it's a quick wash to make sure things look nice, but mechanically, it's a dead un.

Back