• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bit of a strange grinding noise, any help/ideas appreciated.

Howdo all, i'm a new owner/member so i'll start off by saying hey. Nice to have somewhere to come for advice.

I recently purchased an 05 premier edition ep3, 43,000miles awesome car have wanted one for years and am not dissapointed. I have noticed a strange grinding sound, sounds like it's coming from the engine/front end I only hear it when the momentum of the engine is driving the car, in second and 3rd gear around 20-30 miles an hour. The car feels like it is performing as it should, and drives really smooth when accelerating.

Any ideas as to what this could be, and wheather it is anything to be overly concerned about would be great.

Cheers, Tibbs

The common causes of vibration/rattles on an ep3 are the drive shaft heat shield, the ivtec intake manifold cover and the front engine mount. These would be the first things to eliminate none of which are serious, however if it is the mount it's worth sorting sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Cheers for the replies, that's put me a bit more at ease. I'll get those possible fixes looked at soon as poss, let you know how i get on.

Thanks for the welcome, Tibbs

Yep, very very common problem.

Noisy heatshields, normally the driveshaft, or as hippy has stated, sometimes it's the i-VTEC cover or the CAT heatshield.

Take it to Kwik-Fit or something and get some idiot to check them and tighten them up, takes like 10 seconds and is normally free if they've got no cars waiting.

Regards the i-VTEC cover, take it off anyway, it looks better :p, but seriously, take it off and go for a spin to activate the noise again, if it's gone, WIN.

You may well find that it's the engine revs that activates the noise, not the speed.

Mine did it at about 4000rpm I think, which may well be cruising speed in third (30mph).

Hey hippy, gonna check the ivtec cover today. Just wanted to ask about the front engine mount, have read a few people talking about es mounts. Quite new to this so bear with me, would these be a good replacement and is it worth doing the front and rear?
:confused:

Any advice appreciated, cheers

Tibbs

My money is on the ivtec cover. You will be able to see where it's been rubbing the intake mani.

I think you a refering to an engine mount insert, this is worthwhile doing as it's a cheap mod that will reduce wheel hop. The only downside is that there will be some vibration in the cabin when idling. I've just got the front one in mine as the mount needed replacing so it was an ideal time to put the insert in. I replaced the mount with another oem one, but people do uprate the mounts especially if they are going to be increasing the power. Inserts I believe are essential if you are going to be using an aftermarket exhaust manifold.

Back