• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bit the bullet and ordered a Stoptech BBK and new wheels (couple of questions)

Right chaps I've bit the bullet and ordered the Stoptech 328mm big brake kit, with Ferodo DS2500 pads through Stevie @ Grinspeed. All booked in to have them fitted before my next trackday and Nurburgring trip!

They don't fit under standard rims so I got some lightweight Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s (off an Evo). These are ET38, will that be ok one a 30mm lowered EP3? They currently have 225/40/17s on but I could swap to 215/40's if needed.

Questions:

1) Is it worth pulling the ABS fuse for track time? Will this improve the Stoptechs?
2) What size spigot rings do I need? The wheels seem to be around 72-73mm centre bore. What do I need for the Civic?
3) How much weight can be saved by nitrogen filling the tyres?

You do realise air is 79% Nitrogen right? Nitrogen filling is used as "proper" Nitrogen doesn't contain any where near as much moisture as air and so when tyres heat up the pressure in the tyres doesn't fluctuate. Leading to a more controllable set up.

The usual problem still exists though of garages equipment and the quality of the product, ie is it proper dry Nitrogen and after this is it even worth it?

I would get my tyres fitted at a decent garage with decent equipment with a dryer on the air line and adjust my pressures through out the day.

Wise choice with the stoptechs, did you get them with the deal eightspeed were doing then? Also they do fit under oem wheels as thats what i have for my track wheels. I'd say it's more than likely you will have to roll the rear archs with the 225s

Last edited by a moderator:
I've sorted the spigot rings now, 73.1mm to 64.1mm seem to be the ones. £4.50 delivered off eBay.

You do realise air is 79% Nitrogen right? Nitrogen filling is used as "proper" Nitrogen doesn't contain any where near as much moisture as air and so when tyres heat up the pressure in the tyres doesn't fluctuate. Leading to a more controllable set up.

The usual problem still exists though of garages equipment and the quality of the product, ie is it proper dry Nitrogen and after this is it even worth it?

I would get my tyres fitted at a decent garage with decent equipment with a dryer on the air line and adjust my pressures through out the day.

That's not the question I asked, tyre pressures are irrelevant to me. I was asking about weight.

Nitrogen is lighter than air, as the other main component (a gas called oxygen), is heavier.

I was wondering if anyone had the specific data - ie how many grams of air in a 215/40/17 tyre at 30psi. Multiplied by four and we can begin to work out the unsprung weight saving of using nitrogen.

Wise choice with the stoptechs, did you get them with the deal eightspeed were doing then? Also they do fit under oem wheels as thats what i have for my track wheels

Are you talking about the 300mm kit or the 328 (sold as a 330mm) kit?

It's the latter I've gone for. It's more expensive at Eightspeed than at Tegiwa (£1628 vs £1708 iirc). As it happens I've let Stevie @ Grinspeed source them as I imagine he gets them at trade price.

On the larger kit I've been told by Grinspeed, Tegiwa and others that they won't fit behind OEM wheels, but obviously if you have such a setup then that's very useful to know!

328mm i have, i do use a 3mm spacer as you can see there isn't much clearence but they do go on without, also the wheel weights are close on mine but again not been a problem. You can see the weights at the top of the pic

You really think the weight of two differing gasses in tyres is going to make an impact.

If you really think that for a track day your in the wrong car. You need something much more serious. Maybe take a big crap before you go out or leave the air freshener in the pit.

328mm i have, i do use a 3mm spacer as you can see there isn't much clearence but they do go on without, also the wheel weights are close on mine but again not been a problem. You can see the weights at the top of the pic

Thanks for that.

Well that's reassuring as if my Team Dynamics aren't what I'd hoped for then I can stay with OEM. I'll check the weight difference but I suspect the TDs will be much lighter as they are built to be light.

You really think the weight of two differing gasses in tyres is going to make an impact.

If you really think that for a track day your in the wrong car. You need something much more serious. Maybe take a big crap before you go out or leave the air freshener in the pit.

Yeah it might only be a small amount but it's unsprung, which really does matter. If I'm spending £1800 plus fitting on brakes it seems daft not to spend the extra £8 for nitrogen.

I think a lot of small savings can make worthwhile gains, I've removed my headunit for that reason and I've been shaving off various un-used bits of metalwork from around the car. It all adds up.

I'll work out the difference in mass of ridding your tyres of 20% oxygen plus 2% other gasses if I remember tomorrow, just for giggles you understand.

You do know this will be grams. Just have a 9" pizza the night before instead of that 12" or shave your nuts or something. :lol:

Using nitrogen isn't about weight but stoney's covered that. Hey ho, will be interesting.

If you're going down this route, lightweight wheel nuts, slim valves and no valve caps please!

Knock yourself out. :lol:

fcukinglolzer.jpg

From a weight point of view, really not worth bothering. From a more consistent pressure, definitely.

To be fair that's the equivalent of about 10 grams of sprung weight, which will offset a couple of extra cornflakes for breakfast!

OK, no discernible difference. At all. Seriously. :rolleyes:

I'd be more interested in the pressure stability than the unsprung weight.

I was offered nitrogen when I had the yoko AD08's fitted. They said it was better as it didn't lose pressure like air. Was £9 a tyre or ****** so I stuck with air! :)

On a tangent. Is eightspeed and grinspeed the same thing?? There is a Stevie at both hence the confusion! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back