• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Black death or paranoia?

I've noticed black sooty deposits around one of my injectors? I've been reading on the Internet that this occurs in diesels and it's generally considered to be a significant problem, often referred to as black death. Is it just a leaking seal that can be replaced or should I start to worry?

it sounds like its just the seal. 30 minute job and the washers are around £5 on ebay. ive done two of my cars now. pull the injector out, remove old washer from it, clean the area where the washer seats and fit the new washer and fit the injector. job done, no more chuffing.

What exactly am I replacing? Is it the injector 'o' rings which I assume are specific to the injector type and not the engine or the sealing washers? I tried searching on ebay by typing 'ep3 injector washers'. I can't find anything. I'll ring the Honda parts department when they reopen.

Cheers

It is a deisel isn't it?
if it is then it's a small copper washer that slides on the bottom of the injector.

No it's an petrol type r. My first post may not have been that clear. I can only find the problem on diesel car forums. It doesn't seem to be a petrol engine issue.

Ah ok. It's not something I've heard of from petrol injectors.
i have tested my seals in past by spraying wd40 on the bottom of the injector one at a time whilst the engine is running. If any seals have failed then you would hear a change in the sound of your cars tickover as it sucked the wd40 through the damaged seal.
usually if your seals are damaged you would have a slight smell of fuel and a lumpy tickover.

I do occasionally and sporadically get a fuel smell in the car. It doesn't happen a lot though. Tick over is pretty normal but sometimes it dips below 8-900 rpm to about 5 then back up again straight after turning the ignition. It's steady then at 900 ish.

Back