• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bleeding brakes, after some clarification/help

My calipers are all off the car right now whilst I rebuild them and wait for parts to turn up (piston rebuild kit, braided lines and 1.5L rbf600), most my fluid has been drained from the car. Ive read a whole host of posts on bleeding the brakes, some say start at the front and work to the rear and some say start at the rear. Just after a bit of clarification on the correct order to bleed them.
Also I made the mistake of turning the engine on whilst my fluid is out and calipers off, obviously the ABS light has come on I'm assuming once refitting and bled this should go away? Or will I need to get the fault reset? Could I of caused any damage to the salvo as people say don't let the master cylinder get empty? Am hoping not and you simply don't let it empty as you will have to start the bleeding process over.

I know it's been covered multiple times but just trying to get a definitive answer and over come any potential issues before I get to putting the calipers back on.

Thanks in advance guys.

You generally start with the piston furthest from the cylinder and work your way closer; back left, back right, front left, front right.

You won't have damaged anything and the light should go out once everything is refitted. It will just take a while to get all the air out, so get some extra fluid. My system was completely dry and Jamieboy managed to do it with 1L, I have no idea how, I probably would have wasted twice that!

If you're having trouble drawing the fluid through the system there's a great trick from old Land Rovers. Get a massive syringe or an oil can and pump it through from the bottom. Good way to do it solo too.

Thanks jimbo, it made sense to me to start furthest away as the longer the line the more air will be in it, faster that's out the system the better but read a few posts on here stating start at the front.
I'm itching for the piston kit to turn up, I've got a week off, the weather is awesome and I can't move the car! If after all this I still have issues I'm grinding a hole in the floor and going for a Fred flintstone set up!

Lol, that's exactly what I've just been through. All my calipers were in desperate need of refurbishment, one of them was really, really bad. The car was on axle stands for a month, while it was I found a hole in the floor. Literally, I found a hole in the floor.

JamieBoy helped me out because I was in an arm cast, well, that and I'm useless :lol:. I'm off to see his new workshop tonight, so I'll get him to post what he did to mine.

My fronts have had some major tlc over the last few days, stripped back to metal as much as I could with hand tools and a combi drill anyway. Sprayed them up with 4 coats of paint, the rears arnt to bad and I haven't ordered a rebuild kit for those so they've had a clean and a very quick lick of paint so they vaguely match. I truly can see why people invest in BBK's the only problems I've had have been the brakes.
I was gonna get braided lines just to get it all done at once but can't get hold of TGM to order some so guess they will have to wait.
Think I'd have cried if I found a hole in the car as well! I'm back to work Monday so the car HAS to be working by then!

Would be good to see what he did to yours mate, make sure I'm not missing a trick.

Ears are burning!!

Aye start with furthest away from servo is the correct way to do it but in out case it was also the hardest. One for the future, disconnect the brake light switch and use a stick to keep the pedal down, holds the fluid in and makes it a breeze to bleed, also stops the possiblity of the seals in the servo folding due to the amount of air in the system.

Anyway, We started with the passenger side until fluid came through clear with no air bubbles and lock it as soon as you see a constant flow. Jamie being the master brake pedal pusher he was done a magnificent job. Proud of ye pal.
work your way round doing the same, Once all done pump the pedal until hard ( giggity ) and crack the nipple until pedal hits the floor.Do that with each corner and hey presto.
pump the pedal, make sure its not creeping down and run round the hoses/pipes checking for leaks.
No secret to it really, just the more you do it the easier it becomes but IMO doing this now then later once the hoses arrive is twice the work but needs must I suppose.

Re reading your first post i saw the abs light is on, you may need to bleed the abs pump too which can be a female dog but its doable with some patience.

Hope this helps in some sort of way.

I fitted HEL lines when I did mine, or really I should say JamieBoy fitted HEL lines...

Something like £60 from tegiwa, the quality looks good and they certainly give a lot more feel. Actually the brakes now feel SO much better than before, it was quite a surprise. I think most of that was from the rebuild, but the lines are definitely worth doing. A good clean of the brakes is going on the annual winter maintenance list from now on.

With a rebuild and good pads, rotors, lines and a brake stopper the oem calipers can give a healthy supply of retardation. I couldn't justify £1k+ on big brakes.

No need for big brakes on a standard type r imo, look good mind you.
as Jimbo said, good discs, decent pads, fluid and braided lines is a great cheaper improvment.

Jamie lets see your photography skills from earlier sir.

I knew it wouldn't be as easy as just bleeding the corners lol. My luck is absolutely rubbish so no doubt I shall have to bleed the abs pump to, don't suppose you have a link to a 'how to' on that do you? Or be kind enough to write a few steps up for me to point me in the right direction? Also if the seals fold over in the servo what symptoms would I expect to see?
Sorry for all the questions but last one: if all is well with the brakes will the abs light go out on its own as jimbo said?
I've bought a bleed hose with a non return valve in the hope of making life a bit easier once I get to bleeding the system, I fear it's not enough haha

Jamie lets see your photography skills from earlier sir.
I'll get right on it. Just as soon as I've finished drinking this enormous glass of wine and watching Flash Gordon.

Ears are burning!!
The force is strong with you young one!

if all is well with the brakes will the abs light go out on its own as jimbo said?

I can't remember now. Jamieboy, did you reset mine with your bluetooth sorcery, or did it go out on it's own?

No I don't think yours was on mate.
It should clear once it's bled and test driven.
** give until tonight for someone to come along with a how to that's already made ( loxy May have an idea of there is one ) if not ** try stick one together , I'm at work just now and typing on my phone, could take some time.

Jimbo had one of they one way valves hose thingies too but I don't think it was used lol.

Cheers for the replies guys it is appreciated. I've had a look around the abs pump and can't see a bleed nipple anywhere (anticipating this issue) so I'm assuming you have to crack the brake lines themselves from the pump to prime it, then bleed the lines. By the looks of it (and after a lot of research but I'm still probably wrong) the reason Hondas bleed order is NF OF OR NR is in order to prime the abs pump correctly. Looking at the brake line location on the pump it could well be true.....but could also just be internet hokum
Will up date when my god dam parts arrive, my postie has been warned not to come down my road without them again! Lol

Cheers man, bleeding the corners I should be ok with but now concerned about the master cylinder as my system is pretty much dry. Would you advise bleeding this separate or should it bleed from the corners? Seriously am sorry for all the no doubt stupid questions!!

The air will be released through the pipes don't worry about it, you don't have to bleed it.

Just do the corners and get a pedal, from there it's easy enough.
No worries, feel free to pm as well.

Well the non return valve lasted all of 30 seconds before I threw it in the bin and went to the tube in a bottle trick lol. I've got brakes back now can't thank you both enough for your help,I definitely owe you boys a beer or two even if I have to post you a couple of cans
I've still got air somewhere as my pedal is spongy but gonna give them another bleed tomorrow and see what happens.

Btw jimbo you were spot on abs light went out once I'd started it up. I hate waiting for parts, far too much time to over think potential problems.

enjoy the beer for us buddy.
the pipes are mince. im sure i was going to use it as a cover for the brake hose lol.
pump the pedal and crack a pipe.
do this for each corner and you should be all good.

All sorted today, 45mins of extra bleeding and my brakes work an absolute treat the neighbours definitely know my cars back on the road oh how I've missed it.

Back