• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

blown engine

hi im new to the site and my first post will be a sad one.I have had a type r for a month and the engine blew 2 weeks ago. when the AA came they said there was no oil but i only had the car a month of the garage . Now they are saying the damage done was not to do with lack of oil but abuse of the engine or a slipped gear. They said there was a piston that spilt in 3 and caused the damage ,they have sent the ecu of to Honda but no sure whats going to happen, I'm in way over my head as i still got finance on the car .......................
if any one can help please please get in touch :(

These engines may use a considerable amount of oil if being driven hard. It's good to check the oil weekly.

Slipped gear would mean you over revved the engine by say, selecting 2nd instead of 4th, meaning the road speed for the selected gear is too high and when you let the clutch up the engine revs well over the clock, i.e. past 9,000 rpm. Since you haven't said you've done this, we'll ignore it. Honda will just be checking what error codes were on the ECU. They don't usually have to send it away though, they can usually read the code in the workshop.

With regards to the oil, I'm assuming you have an EP3 (2001-2006 Civic Type R) and I'm pretty sure it says this in the manual but I might be wrong, but Honda state that using 1 litre of oil in 800 miles is acceptable. So it's not the time you've had it but how many miles you did. Some cars use some, some use none. I recently used a litre at a track day at Spa and my car never normally uses any, so again it can depend on how hard the car is driven and what grade of oil was in it can also affect the amount of oil it uses.

The K20 only normally holds 5 litres of oil and it is 1 litre from Max to Min on the dipstick, so in a month you could well have got it well below minimum. If the AA said there was no oil in it, he means it's below min on the dipstick.

There could of course be an oil leak that has accelerated the issue, but I'm assuming they are checking for that as well.

Sorry to say it, but you've only yourself to blame really. Just like you check the air in the tyres and screen wash, you need to check the oil regularly in any car. Mis-shifts and low oil are about the only things that kill these engines, otherwise they are bullet proof.

Don't get a brand new one from Honda. It will cost you a fortune!

The best thing is it get an engine from a written off car but make sure you get warranty with it as you won't know the full history of the car.

If it were me, I'd be contacting some of the traders in the trader's section to see if they could get hold of a known decent engine for me.

Damage can quite often be done before the oil light comes on.

It's a fair bit below min on the dipstick before the light comes on and for the sake of going out with a bit of kitchen roll and opening the bonnet every couple of weeks....

Damage can quite often be done before the oil light comes on.

It's a fair bit below min on the dipstick before the light comes on and for the sake of going out with a bit of kitchen roll and opening the bonnet every couple of weeks....

yeah isnt hard, once a week and before long jorneys :)

Back