• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

boot jammed

newibie here just had my type r 3 days and the boot has locked on me and cant get the dam thing open.. crawled inside from the seats and found a little blck grommet which I removed . found the mech in here for the boot.but dont know if I should pull or push this dont want to cause more damage...

what can be problem with the boot not opening ??????

A component in the locking system or latch system has probably snapped. Happened on my sisters Polo. Could mean a new lock assembley.

When you lock/unlock the car put your head next to number plate, can you hear components moving in the door? If so, its probably just as above. If not, it may be electrical.

Either way, your gonna have to take the whole boot trim off to have a look.

when the car is unlocked, is there any resistance in the boot open handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem on mine when i first got, i was going mad with the lock and unlock button on my alarm fob. In the end i walked away from it and its been fine since, i think i may have confused it by pressing it alot.

It may be worth leaving it for a bit and seeing if it clears up.

newibie here just had my type r 3 days and the boot has locked on me and cant get the dam thing open.. crawled inside from the seats and found a little blck grommet which I removed . found the mech in here for the boot.but dont know if I should pull or push this dont want to cause more damage...

what can be problem with the boot not opening ??????

I get this problem quite alot.

I sometimes accidently go to open the boot when the car is not unlocked, then i unlock the car & the boot sticks.

You can push the catch to the right as you say behind the gromit, but as i found the other day there is a much better & quicker way.

I found when pulling the boot button/handle itself it catches & doesnt depress back (i think maybe a spring gone), the way i now do it is push the button/handle back towards the car unlock the car again & hey presto the boot opens simple!!! :)

Hope it works for you

Back