• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Boot Rattle Help needed

I have a new rattle in the car :(

It seems to be coming from the boot and after a little investigation I think I have found the problem.
The boot seems loose when it is closed.

When the boot is closed I can pull it (like you would when you open it but without opening the handle) it will open slightly i.e a few mm and knock. I think this knock is the rattle I can hear when driving.

Can anyone go to their CTR and try and open the boot when it is closed and see if it knocks.

dotty said:
Get it to the dealers Paul mine does not do this :!:

Thanks Stu for trying that.

I will try and plat with the rubber bungs first to see if I can make it the boot catch hold a little tighter. Then head to the dealers, but mine are so useless I try and fix it myself 1st :evil:

paul.goffin said:
dotty said:

I will try and plat with the rubber bungs first to see if I can make it the boot catch hold a little tighter. Then head to the dealers, but mine are so useless I try and fix it myself 1st :evil:

Paul, if I was a bettig man I would guess that the lock and or striker plate are out of adjustment, if the screws are loosened, you have some free play that you can have a go at. You may want to try that mate.

BigRed said:
paul.goffin said:
dotty said:

Paul, if I was a bettig man I would guess that the lock and or striker plate are out of adjustment, if the screws are loosened, you have some free play that you can have a go at. You may want to try that mate.

I did have a look at the lock and striker plate and they both seem secure :? I have adjusted the bungs as much as possible to try and pack it out. There is still quite a lot of play, but it doesn't seem to rattle during driving.
I really want to try someone elses boot, so I'll wait for the next local meet.

paul.goffin said:
BigRed said:
paul.goffin said:
dotty said:

I did have a look at the lock and striker plate and they both seem secure :? I have adjusted the bungs as much as possible to try and pack it out. There is still quite a lot of play, but it doesn't seem to rattle during driving.
I really want to try someone elses boot, so I'll wait for the next local meet.

If you loosen them off and separate the distance between them more, you may make it a tighter fit. There is no other way unless the rubbers can be adjusted too.

Back