• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bottom end knocking

My bottom end started knocking today after a spirited drive. The first one since my engine conversion (k20a2). I should have checked the oil as it was low but never mind the damage has been done now. I'm going to replace the bottom end bearings and I was wondering what parts other than the bearings and thrust washers i'll need. Has anyone got part numbers or a good place to get them? Thanks in advance, Jack

Will the crank definately need regrinding? On the hondaoriginal parts website there are 6 different types of crank bearings coded with different colours. Which ones do i need?

Colour depends on size required.

Which you will Only Know after the crank has been reground.

Yeah, there's different colours fitted on all four pistons too.

Yeah, when I did mine on track, the crank had the smallest of marks on it, was nice and smooth too. I fitted new bearings and it was still knocking above 3000rpm.

I've stripped it and had a look and its will need regrinding as its scored slightly. I'm going to order the ACL main and big end bearings and thrust washers from CPL tomorrow. Will these be o.k or should i get the crank ground then measured first?

I'm taking the engine out and leaving it with the guy who is building my engine and he's is going to get the crank re-ground and balanced then sort the bearings out for me. Job done cheers guys!

Back