• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bought an EP3 yestestery, funny noise on the drive home

Hi all,

I purchased an EP3 yesterday and on the test drive, there were no issues. Gears felt good, no crunching when cold, VTEC pulled fine, no smoke and so on. However, on the drive home while cruising on the motorway at around 60-70mph, there was a funny, intermittent squeaking sound, which sounded like it was coming from the front left?

I noticed if I backed of the throttle the squeak would appear, but if I pressed the throttle to keep a constant rate, it would disappear? I came across it briefly today while at about 40mpg, but seemed to stop when I turned the wheel to the right, but this may of been a coincidence?

Any ideas? I hope it is nothing serious!

Thanks.

Hi Jizzy,

The fronts do look on the low side. I've never experienced low pads making such a noise, probably because I never let them get so low!

How would it explain it being an intermittent noise if its the pads?

The inner pad will be lower than the outer pad & normally has a metal wear indicator on it , when the pads get warmer & when you swerve from side to side it will be applying more pressure to 1 side than the other

Thanks for the explanation.

I first encountered it when crusing on the motorway though. Generally in a straight line I think and the noise would stop when a little acceleration is applied at a constant rate.

Its in the garage for a service on Saturday so I'll get them to look at it anyway.

I'll let you know if they find anything!

Ps. Any recommendations for pads other than OEM? Just street use for now.

How many miles has it done. Make sure the sound isnt a squeaky steering rack. Have you checked the wheel bearings? Also keep in mind that these cars are getting old and as they age they just get generally noisy as things start to wear and squeak.

Welcome to EP3 ownership :)

It's done 130,000 miles.

Is there a particular method for checking if it is the rack? I have done 3 point turns, full lock turns, gone around roundabouts and so on with no noise.

It's generally when cruising and would dissapear with some slight throttle applied.

I understand in regards to the age and so on. This is just strange and quite loud. Like a chirping noise.

I am only concerned about it possible being major and expensive. Otherwise I'd just drive around it and worry less until it can be identified and resolved :)

Ps it's going in for a service on Saturday so I will ask them to go over pads and bearings etc

I just parked up, took the keys out of the ignition and turned the wheel. The rack doesn't appear to lock?

It's done 130,000 miles.

Is there a particular method for checking if it is the rack? I have done 3 point turns, full lock turns, gone around roundabouts and so on with no noise.

It's generally when cruising and would dissapear with some slight throttle applied.

I understand in regards to the age and so on. This is just strange and quite loud. Like a chirping noise.

I am only concerned about it possible being major and expensive. Otherwise I'd just drive around it and worry less until it can be identified and resolved :)

Ps it's going in for a service on Saturday so I will ask them to go over pads and bearings etc

Tbh it doesn't sound like a steering rack issue. The steering rack squeak can be heard at very slight changes in the wheel.

Your steering lock issue is unrelated I'd imagine and I've never heard of it before....

Do you mean the steering lock doesnt engage ?
Try turning the steering wheel all the way to the left & all the way to the right

Yeah that's right. Maybe I am just being stupid so I'll check again tomorrow. But I've never come a cross a car before that needed such a range of motion for the lock to engage?

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm referring to when you take the keys out of the ignition and turn the wheel until it locks.

Im not saying you should have to turn the steering all the way left or right to engage the steering wheel lock im just advizing to try it
Yes your correct in saying you shouldnt have to turn the steering that far to engage the lock but over a forum its hard to diagnose so lets start with the basics

I'm a ****. Locks fine. I'll update on Saturday on if the mechanic finds anything in regards to the intermittent noise.

Mechanic said the car is solid, everything looks good. He advised the pads are low but have another month or 2 of life and if I hear the squeak again, to perform an emergency like stop to 'clean them off'.

Mechanic said the car is solid, everything looks good. He advised the pads are low but have another month or 2 of life and if I hear the squeak again, to perform an emergency like stop to 'clean them off'.

A month or two of life? Sounds like a case of cant be bothered to do them today, rebook soon :D

Back