• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake Discs

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase some brake discs for my Type R but need a little advice regarding the discs.

Are Grooved & Drilled brake discs the best choice or would normal brake discs be ok.

any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I put drilled and groved on the front of my DC5 and notice a big improvement! Each to therown I suppose ***. Only thing I would say with drilled brakes when braking hard they do make a bit of noise.

No offence but I wouldn't really take when someone says noticed to be gospel, it might just be a placebo effect after the new discs are fitted.

I've gone from OEM to aftermarket grooved discs and I haven't really "noticed" an increase in stopping distance, pad material is a bigger factor IMO. As sickly said hel/Goodridge brake hoses, RBF600 fluid and some decent pads such as ds2500 or Cosworth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont get drilled as they have a tendancy to crack.

There are loads of posts on here about good combos. have a read through.

This is what will happen to cheap grooved discs:

IMAG0169.jpg

Buy OEM, and as above, get uprated fluid, pads and lines. If this still isn't enough then maybe look at some Dixcel discs or others, just don't get some cheap ones unless you want them cracking.

Drilled and grooved discs are good if they are manufactured correctly.

Ie, the grooves and holes are created at casting or very shortly after. (expensive to manufacture)

Issues arise when the holes and grooves are made afterwards, weakening the metal around them.
(cheaper to manufacture)

The reason for the holes is to attempt to dissipate gas build up between the pad and disc to improve braking performance, cooling the disc slightly.

The grooves are there to help deglaze the pads and also to dissipate gas too.

The fact is that drilled and/or grooved discs are better performers than blanks, but on the right application. Otherwise manufacturers wouldn't use them. (Audi for instance use them on the majority of the R/S/RS Range)

An EP3/DC5 responds extremely well to just uprated pads with standard blank discs. As mentioned, uprated lines and fluid will provide a noticeable difference also.

Hth

What's the overall opinion on brake stoppers ? I fitted a tegiwa brake stopper on my ep3 not too long ago, thing is I havn't driven it since. Anybody used one before ?

Back