• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake fade problem

Hi all hope you had a good Xmas and new year.
Hope for some advice and thoughts on this one

Just before Xmas I fitted new dicks and pads all round on my ctr ep3, replaced them with kinetix grooved and dimpled discs with brembo pads. Also changed the fluid to ate blue. I ran them now for bout 400 miles , first 150 like a granny so as to bed them in well . They seem fine but today I had to brake very very very heavily from a particular speed and by the time I got to 40mph my foot was nearly on the floor and brake were nearly gone and abs didn't kick in at all,
Now I now the discs aren't fantastic but am I wrong to think they shouldn't fade so fast.
Any advice on this issue would be most helpful.
Cheers

New dicks? Got a part number on those? :p

In all serious though that doesn't sound right. How are they now? I'm no mechanic but the last time my brake pedal was like that was when my Peugeot 205's brakes failed with one of the rear drum cylinders ****ing brake fluid. Perhaps check you have no leaks and nothing looks out of place as it sounds like pressure. Or could the fluid have been contaminated? Air in the system? Those are what spring to my uneducated mind first.

Sounds like you have got air in the system. Bleed the whole system to be on the safe side. Also, as said above check for leaks.

Brembo's cheap pads are on par with OEM with quality. Heavy braking from high speed will easily cook them.
I'd also check and bleed your brake fluid as the pedal shouldn't be travelling that far down even with some brake fade.

replace your brake fluid and if you want to improve it more, replace to stainless braided brake hoses.

Pedal feels nice and firm as you press the brake but then feels like there's a lil to much travel when pushed harder.

I did notice when I bled it that on the left front and right rear when pumping the pedal. The pedal it self was very lazy to return. Was fine for the front right and rear left . Wondering if the master cylinder is playing up.

Back