• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake fluid complete change. But how much??

I'm putting new brembo discs and pads on my car and changing to braided hoses so I'm going to change to 5.1 brake fluid but after been told 3 different amounts to buy can anyone tell me how much I will need? 1 2 or 3 litres ?

Thanks Lee

I used Motul RBF600 with the same discs and pads your using and was advised by Tegiwa that I would need 1.5litres.

You have already asked this question and had it answered in another thread.

1litre is sufficient for a change/bleed.

I bought 1.5 litres to be on the safe side, I had a little left over. The dot on brake fluid I think refers to brake temperatures dot 3 gives lowest temp rating (dry and wet), dot 4 is slightly higher and dot 5 is for extreme temps. Honda recommend dot 4 fluid this will be fine, you won't need a higher dot rating unless you track the car as well. Or drive to the extreme.

Decent fluids like Motul RBF600/660 and ATE Super Blue are Dot 4. Its all i`d ever really use. Even in pure track cars i know of still use Motul RBF600/660.

i bought 1 litre of rbf600 dot 4 and had a little left over when i finished

Dot5 is made from a different compound from dot4 and can degrade your brake lines with prolonged use as the Honda lines are made for dot4. So I wouldn't recommend using dot5 on a Type R.

Dot5.1 however is the same as dot4 with bells on and is fine to use in a dot4 system.

Back