• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake help needed please

Hi this morning I was driving and the brakes didn't feel right, as I was coming to a stop it felt like I had the brakes on ot the handbrake etc, I got out and had a look and the near side front brake disk was baking hot and the other side was normal, it then started squeaking when I set of again and it really did feel like I was driving with the brake pedal being pushed, any help with be much appericiated.

Sounds like the brake is binding on that side. Either the pad is stuck on the slider or the piston isn't retracting into the caliper. It will need sorting ASAP or you'll be looking at new pads and disks.

Cheers Loxy, it's in the garage now, do you have any ideas on what's involved if that's what it is, hopefully I've caught it soon as it started happening this morning.

If its the pads it could just need the sliders cleaning up as they can get gunked up with brake dust, pads could need a lip grinding off if they aren't sitting on the slider properly and catching. If it's the caliper, then it could need anything from a cleaning up to a full strip down and recon. You'll just have to see what they say.

Thanks mate, fingers crossed it's straight forward, I'll re-post and update with the outcome

Just found out the caliper seized, burnt out the pad and the disk needs replacing, new brake fluid needed also, looking at around 350.00 not happy at all

Standard brakes = ***** unfortunately!

So many reports of them binding or seizing front and rear. It's the achillies heel of the car in my opinion

The final outcome today was shocking, basically, the near side caliper seized so that burnt the pad and scored the disk, so the outcome is new caliper and with it being a premier edition it's got the embossed type r logo on so I want the same again and that is 430.00 from the dealers then OEM pads and disks front all in just over 700.00. Absolutly gutted but has to be done, I also have to wait two weeks for the caliper to be shipped over as Honda don't have any in the UK.

You can get a refurb kit. its new rubber rings etc and new pistons for the calipers. I had to get mine done. am sure tegiwa do the kit and ebay for the pistons.

I agree with Howie, you shouldn't need a new caliper. Refurb kits go for £30 on ebay, they include everything you will need. While your at it braided lines, fluid and good pads make a big difference to the oem brakes. Brake fluid upgrade is worthwhile anyway so you may as well get some fancy stuff whatever you decide to do.

Well to be honest as soon as it felt strange i was passing my local kwick fit so i took it in there, now they are the ones who have said that i need all these things, im not having the work done there im having them done at Honda, i havnt paid for anything yet and its booked in for the end of June as that is when the caliper is due to arrive as its being shipped from somewhere. To be honest i have no clue at all about brakes etc so i just panicked and book it into Honda asap, no what Kwick fit have said is, New Caliper, pads and discs and brake fluid change all in 790.00 at kwick fit - 7.10 at Honda, obviously Honda are doing the wotk.

With regards to caliper recon, Honda wouldnt do this but i am in the North west, is there someone i can talk to about doing this I.E TDI NORTH, GRINSPEED etc, as that would be alot cheaper i suppose.

I'd call stevie at Grinspeed and see what he suggests. I reckon you could save a lot if you got him to refurb the calliper.

How old's your car??. I've had to have my nearside front apart due to slight sticking.

Last edited by a moderator:
£450 is the amount I paid for my wife's NSF caliper at Honda as like you I was pretty much stranded at the road side. when the osf one went, they used a refurbished one for about £180 from memory so it may be worth asking them. I definitely wouldn't be paying £450 for a brand new one. Both have been fine for over 40000 miles since.

Back