• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

brake issue opinions please

gbl

When I am braking especially down a hill to stop at a junction I am hearing a rubbing noise it sort of feels as if the wheels a still spinning as I come to a stop.

A couple of weeks ago my ABS light came on so I stopped the car, turned the engine off then restarted. It has not come on since.

I am assuming my brake pads are wearing down but I am not getting the audible noise from the indicators on the pads.

The discs have no grooves in them so I am quite confident there is no disc damage.

A couple of things to note:

I know the pads are cheap ones

And because of a financial emergency 5 months ago I could only afford cheap budget tyres which are almost knackered already.

I am guessing I need pads and better tyres does anyone have any opinions?

ps my car maintenance basically is at a level where I can change a wheel and add oil/water.

Edit also I have never had the chain sorted as I have been told by several places that there is no need cars has 115k on it have had it since 23k

Also since I bought the car 6 years ago whenever it rains over night and I get in the car in the morning to go to work when I accelerate its as if the calipers have stuck but immediately let go as I accelerate. I have had the calipers replaced before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes would get your brakes looked at could be seized on slightly, pads brembo:). Just keep oil changed regularly amd chain should be OK.

Changing the front pads and discs is easy work to be honest, but you'd obviously need the correct tools such as a jack, axle stand etc. I wouldn't trust it with the OEM jack.

Once you get all the parts find a local garage and supply them the bits and ask what they'd charge, chances are you'd get all changed for £30-50 or so depending where you live.

Definitely get some better pads and tyres, not an area you want budget parts in. Currently have Brembo OE discs and pads all round and they get a thumbs up from me. Obviously there's better out there still if you can stretch to it.

Could the problem be with the calipers themselves, possibly seized pistons or carrier slider pins?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

in regards to the issue when its rained overnight and the brakes seem to be bound this has always happened this really doesn't concern me but with the issue thats happening at the moment I am going to change the pads and see what happens.

Does anyone have any opinions on BOSCH pads on eurocarparts they are the most expensive and I was wondering if that means they are better.

If you're not on-track the Pagid's are fine for most people. Bosch will be good too. It's not always just a matter of throwing money at the problem :)

got new bembo pads all round and had to get from discs which I went for brembo too. One of the front discs had a massive groove on the inside.

Are the slide-bolts still free-moving? Is the caliper stuck? Had the pad worn so far that the wear-indicator was scraping against the disc or something was wedged against the inside pad? If you have the pad it should be moderately obvious.

That kind of damage could only be caused by something hard rubbing against steel, it would also significantly reduce braking effectiveness, esp. on the fronts which take most of the load when braking.

Are the slide-bolts still free-moving? Is the caliper stuck? Had the pad worn so far that the wear-indicator was scraping against the disc or something was wedged against the inside pad? If you have the pad it should be moderately obvious.

That kind of damage could only be caused by something hard rubbing against steel, it would also significantly reduce braking effectiveness, esp. on the fronts which take most of the load when braking.

I didn't really have time to inspect anything as my mother is terminally ill and I had to rush back home, but I did see that the drivers front side disc had a big groove and that the pad wear indicators looked knackered. So I guess they were rubbing the disc and maybe I had something like a stone inside.

No rush gbl. Best of luck with everything else going on for you and yours.

With the standard calipers, if the inside pad is worn and the outside pad still has plenty of material it normally means the slide bolts are stuck and so the piston is just driving the inside pad against the disc instead of the whole assembly being used. This will cause a few things to happen like reduced braking ability on that disc (meaning your other disc's gonna have to take the load), increased heat on one side of the disc (possible warp), more rapid wear (because only one pad's being used on that disc), etc.

I've taken to replacing the pins when I get a new car because I have no idea what kind of state they're in when I get them, plus it's only another 20 quid or something.

Back