• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake pads

After finally getting my tyres changed yesterday, Ive discovered that ive got about 2mm on my front brake pads. The car is due to go in for its mot this week too, so im wondering if it will fail on this or not?

Also, is it worth going to the local car parts shop and ordering some pads for the front (ordinary ones im guessing), or is it better value for money ordering a specific type / brand?

it should pass. as long as they work properly. normal pads on ebay as low as £40 delivered normaly next day too as most of them are parts dealers anyway.
normal pads fade under heavy breaking and can be dam dangerous if there are needed after long heavy breaking, such as coming off the motorway onto the slip road, lots of traffic, brake brake brake, fade, smash.
i put yellow stuff pads in mine for about £85 delivered witch are useful when heavy breaking with no fade. and have got me out of trouble a few times.
they create alot of dust though. and squeel when there hot.
depending on your driving style and if you find break fade a problem i would spend a bit extra and get some reliables.

Thanks for your replies.

The standard pads have been fine so far. But ive heard that Honda charge a lot of money for them at the dealers, will be phoning them tomorrow to make sure.

I dont really drive it like its been stolen tbh, but as long as theyre as good as the standard ones that are on it now im not to fussed. Just better value for money really, as im a bit skint at the minute.

Have been looking on ebay. So far ive found Mintex and Apec ones - are these any good?

Thanks for your replies.

The standard pads have been fine so far. But ive heard that Honda charge a lot of money for them at the dealers, will be phoning them tomorrow to make sure.

I dont really drive it like its been stolen tbh, but as long as theyre as good as the standard ones that are on it now im not to fussed. Just better value for money really, as im a bit skint at the minute.

Have been looking on ebay. So far ive found Mintex and Apec ones - are these any good?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-BRAKE-P...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item335945083d

these are the cheapest i could find. there standard breaks witch i have fitted before. i always try to stay away from stealers when doing small jobs like brakes.
i should think mintex and apex are similar to each other and contain the same compounds. i would go cheap if your not pushing them hard.

OK, Thanks for the replies. Ive found quite a few now on ebay.

Mintex: - £22 + £8 delivery, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230372329928&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Genuine Honda: - £42 inc delivery, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270431956850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And the ones Griffin posted above.

Is there much difference with these lot? If i go for the cheapest, would they be inferior to the Honda ones? (Im guessing these are the same ones that are standard on a Ep3 CTR)?

Just get some genuine Honda ones from your dealer, they're only £45...

Is there much difference with these lot? If i go for the cheapest, would they be inferior to the Honda ones? (Im guessing these are the same ones that are standard on a Ep3 CTR)?

get the cheapest. there all suitable for your needs. you'll get the same ones if ordered from honda. just more pricey.

I ditched all of my std pads for Ferodo DS2500. Expensive yes, but the difference was massive! I was able to lock the wheels
using only moderate but brisk brake pressure. Something that never happened before because the system wasn't as effective.

The only downside is that they need a bit of warming up to work effectively.

Granted, if you don't brake hard or late, sport pads aren't necessary - in which case stick with the OE pads.

I find that changing the brake fluid and fit steel braided hoses will make a difference on an old car. As would changing the master cylinder etc., but thats if you're serious about braking - in which case you'd also get bigger discs and calipers!

I ditched all of my std pads for Ferodo DS2500. Expensive yes, but the difference was massive! I was able to lock the wheels
using only moderate but brisk brake pressure. Something that never happened before because the system wasn't as effective.

Granted, if you don't brake hard or late, sport pads aren't necessary - in which case stick with the OE pads.

I find that changing the brake fluid and fit steel braided hoses will make a difference on an old car. As would changing the master cylinder etc., but thats if you're serious about braking - in which case you'd also get bigger discs and calipers!

I ordered some DS2500's too as I noticed soon enough the OEM's are not sufficient to my needs. I'm really not driving like a madman, I just notice, when the OEM's get hot, braking distance increases greatly and it scares me as I didn't know it was that bad!
I hope the DS2500's are worth the money... I don't care about dust and stuff, just need brking power.

But what about their brakingpower when cold? Is it really bad or still better than OEM or much better than OEM?
I was about to change to braided hoses too, worth or waste? (maybe future circuit driving, but for now streetdrive...)

do your ds2500 eat discs, i have yellow stuff pads and they cane discs. pads last forever though. loads of dust and squeel when hot. are ds2500 the same?

Can't say what DS2500s do to discs as I haven't been running them for long enough, but yes they do create fair amount of dust. Mine haven't squealed once (yet).

The thing with them working better when warm:

its like this: start it up from cold - like when i drive from home to work in the morning - the first 3 or 4 light applications are quite crap (worse than std pads) but once i build up speed and brake for a junction, the bite is much improved. Let's say I'm coming into a sliproad off the m-way at "x" speed, braking is confident and firm. In fact, i can lift off the pedal for the final 30 metres and then lightly brake again, as he car has slowed quicker than normal.

I'm no expert on braking, but braided hoses will deform less under hydraulic and thermal load than an old reinforced rubber hose. Hence less effort on the pedal. Plus with a change of fluid from DOT4 to DOT5, the fluid had a higher boiling point. This stuff is more suited to trackdays though...

When i do upgrade the discs, i'll go for some which are grooved and preferably x-drilled too, get rid of that latent heat :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what brake discs honda use as OEM? Brembo's? something else? ... Honda discs don't exist, they borrow some other and brand them as honda's. I'd like to know which ones but no luck so far...

And got my DS2500's today... But do they eat discs like the DS3000 or EBC Yellowstuf?

No they they don't eat discs too much, Motul RBF600 brake fluid and braided hoses with DS2500 pads is more than enough for 99% of people.

No they they don't eat discs too much, Motul RBF600 brake fluid and braided hoses with DS2500 pads is more than enough for 99% of people.

Allright, thanks! I'm sure I'm with those 99% so I'll order those hoses and fluid too someday.

Back