• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake pipes fail.

Just had my EP3 MOT'd and she's failed because the front-to-rear brake pipes have corroded. It's quite a time consuming job as you have to take the petrol tank out etc... but I've been quoted about £350 (which includes the £50 MOT fee). Does this sound about right? Or does anyone know anyone in the Birmingham area that could do it cheaper? Any information will be greatly appreciated!

That sounds like they are trying to pull your pants down bud. A full set of braided lines including fitting wouldn't cost that much.

Garages in Birmingham, I've no idea to be honest. I used TDi-North and Grinspeed.

It'll be the hardlines John that the garage is referring too.

I would ask for a second opinion, sometimes a rub down with emery paper is enough to remove the corrosion.

mine had a advisory on that before I bought it, when I changed the brake hoses I just cleaned them up and sprayed them in stone chip. i haven't had anything said about them since. they were only surface and are still solid otherwise i would replace them.

it might be worth getting a second opinion, a lot of garages do try to get more out of you on something that is hard for you tell or see if it needs replacing
its a shame but it happens way too often
hi-q tried it on me with my pumesta, they didn't realise i built it from ground up and what they said needed doing didn't.
quick clean underneath and it passed magically

Thatll all be labour too because brake pipes (from my experience as a mechanic) are cheap to get bits for making themvthe problem is alot of garages if they fail they wont issue a pass even if you clean them up and take it back out of principle. I think civic ones are normally platic coated lines so its only the exposed ends thwy fail on so try cleaning rhem up with emery paper and a wire brush coat them with shultz and take it to another mot station. Youll have to pay for another test as they cant fast track other garages mot's anymore.

If your still unsure about condition I live in telford if thats any use

sent from somewhere, the centre of everywhere

Thanks guys!!

I've been away and got a 2nd opinion, the definitely need replacing. But, the guy who gave me the 2nd opinion said he'd replace them for nearly half the cost I was originaly quoted!! :lol: MOT re-test is already booked in, then she'll be back on the road. Next step... Up to Grinspeed for a full service!

Back