• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake Piston Seized

After attempting to install my new brakes and pads I think the front near side caliper is seized :evil:

Has anyone had any issues like this or know an easy cure?

coppaslip and some work to help free it mate. thats about all i can say. Had a problem with my front sticking but brute force and ignoance sorted it out

Not in a car, but plenty of times on bikes.

As Evl says, see if you can get it moving by hand but go easy on the copper grease, it'll attract more dirt and crap which will knacker your seals. Avoid using big munchy tools, you'll knacker the piston surface which will do the same.

Failing that, it's time to strip the caliper down, pop the piston out and clean it fully or replace, but then you have to bleed the brakes again after reassembly.

Failing that, it's time to strip the caliper down, pop the piston out and clean it fully or replace, but then you have to bleed the brakes again after reassembly.

Do you have any idea how to brake down the caliper piston? eg manual extract?

Generally the easiest way is to blow air in from a compressor (at low pressure) and push the piston out. If it's a multi-piston caliper you'll need to block the others off and do each one individually.

Using the car's brake system is a bad idea, it normally leads to showering everything in DOT4.

Well I fitted all the disc's and pads and managed to release the piston.

Think the problem is due to the ABS ring I damaged and the brake on that side sometimes kicking in the ABS

So I'm after a ABS toothed ring if anyone knows of any suppliers. Can't find any on the web

Affraid not :mad: I had the isometric assembly drawing faxed over and they class it as part of the knuckle (hence £171 + vat)

But its only a press fit on the shaft and I've already moved the position so can be replaced.

Get one from a scrappies ??

Was going too and went car transplants (about half hour drive) on Sat morning for a complete drive shaft @ £75.

They had it on the computer system but none on the shelf :mad: :mad: :mad: waste of an hour of my life

Back