• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake squeal when driving

My drivers side front wheel is constantly covered in brake dust. (white wheels , so easy to spot)
It squeals when driving, especially when turning right.
Ive regressed all the sliders and the piston winds back fine, so I'm at a loss.

my car has standard calipers with project mu pads, any suggestions?

do you have any pulling to one side. or noticed one side getting hot.

does sound as if one slider or both could be partial sticking or possibly the piston. I would fully strip and clean and regrease and if possible get the fluid changed.

some pads are prone to heavy brake dust but this sounds more like sticking.

do you have any pulling to one side. or noticed one side getting hot.

does sound as if one slider or both could be partial sticking or possibly the piston. I would fully strip and clean and regrease and if possible get the fluid changed.

some pads are prone to heavy brake dust but this sounds more like sticking.

the piston wound back easy, stripped and greased the sliders.
I can't feel any pulling but does feel like the brakes are dragging.
ill have another look, maybe file the pads down/ remove and clean the pad retainers?

Yes the pad retainers can become rusty or filled with dust and crap so worth doing. check the piston and calliper are sitting square as the pistons can become wonky if partially seized which could cause the pad to be dragging against the disc.

EDIT : Also try jacking the front of the car up and spin both wheels to check for drag on one side

Yes the pad retainers can become rusty or filled with dust and crap so worth doing. check the piston and calliper are sitting square as the pistons can become wonky if partially seized which could cause the pad to be dragging against the disc.
Good shout , I'll check that, cheers!

Appears to be the sliders jamming. they don't move freely even when all cleaned up and greased, so ordered some new ones, hopefully will cure it

Back