• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Brake wear indicator??

Neily03

Professional Hippy
What does it sound like?? Just been to the trafford centre, probably half a dozen times as i begin to brake from 50mph+ there was a brief high pitch 'scraping' noise from the front brakes (possibly right only). It only seemed to do it as the pads touched the discs and then stop..... Brakes feel fine.... oh and i'm still on the orginal pads and discs @ 34k. :wink:

I've never heard it and I had to change my pads a few thousand miles ago :lol:

If you've covered 34k on the originals its probably safe to say you need some replacements. They are about £45 from the dealers and easy to fit yourself if you like getting your hands dirty.

I think they are on their last legs..... :( Are there any aftermarket pads that are better than OEM for a similar price??

ABP are doing the EBC Red Stuff Ceramic front and rear pads for £85, which is a bargain price! Also heard some very good things about the Ferrodo DS2500.

Its worth noting that if you want to fit aftermarket pads they should be Reg 90 approved. The Ferrodo's aren't, although many say they are better than the EBC Red Stuff ceramic which are.

Technically if you have an accident and your brake pads aren't Reg 90 approved you could invalidate your insurance. Thats if you have an accident and if anyone even checks them.

HTH

You'll know for sure if the brake wear indicator touches the disc.
The scraping noise is VERY LOUD and embarrassing :oops:

Trung said:
You'll know for sure if the brake wear indicator touches the disc.
The scraping noise is VERY LOUD and embarrassing :oops:

Its wasn't really that bad ad only lasted a split second... Maybe they're are ok for now. I'll see how they go. 8)

If you were to change then I've heard nothing else but good reviews on the Ferrodo Pads.

Why not treat yourself to some braided hoses and uprated fluid while your at it?

If you take one of the wheels off and put the car on full lock you should be able to see if there is any meat left on the pad.

milano_chris said:
If you were to change then I've heard nothing else but good reviews on the Ferrodo Pads.

Why not treat yourself to some braided hoses and uprated fluid while your at it?

If/when i change it will be pads only as i'm getting rid of the CTR next summer so it won't really be worth it. :wink:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSHSSHSHSHSHSHHHSHSHSSSSSCRRRRRAAPPPEPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Kindah thing, It started for me just like you have described. Then after I got about an hour away from home they started to get REALLY LOUD as Tung has said :oops:

Had a proper look while it was having new front tyres on and imo there is still plenty of meat left on the pads. Easily enough for a couple more months. 8)

Back