• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bridgestone potenza re070 for EP3?

Im in need of a full new set of tyres for the Civic, Im wanting to stay with the Bridgstone brand as they seem to be great quality but there seems to be little or no price difference between the RE050A and the RE070 tyres.

Apart from the fact that the RE070 tyre only comes in a 225/45 in the 17" size

What is to stop me from buying a set?!

Wil they be much better than the 50A's and will that extra height in the side wall make accelaration and flex so much worse? :confused:

Im in need of a full new set of tyres for the Civic, Im wanting to stay with the Bridgstone brand as they seem to be great quality but there seems to be little or no price difference between the RE050A and the RE070 tyres.

Apart from the fact that the RE070 tyre only comes in a 225/45 in the 17" size

What is to stop me from buying a set?!

Wil they be much better than the 50A's and will that extra height in the side wall make accelaration and flex so much worse? :confused:

They'll look like balloons on the wheel, they are nearly an inch taller overall compared to the stock tyre size, and will throw your speedo out, and a 7x17 wheel is right at the minimum wheel width you can get those on to. IMO they should not be used.

I see, I did wonder if they would be too wide for the OEM wheels, but wasnt sure. Shame they dont do them in any other widths in the 17" size, looks like ill be going for the reinforced RE050A's.

They'll look like balloons on the wheel, they are nearly an inch taller overall compared to the stock tyre size, and will throw your speedo out, and a 7x17 wheel is right at the minimum wheel width you can get those on to. IMO they should not be used.

The actual overall diameter of the RE070 is 632mm compared to the RE050 being 624mm so there wouldnt be a great difference in the sidewall height of these tyres. There would be little if no difference in acceleration or cornering performance, you may even experience a more comfortable ride due the increased aspect ratio.

The increase in rolling radius is 2.7% which would give an indicated speed of 97mph at an actual 100mph. This wouldnt cause any problems with the law.

The 225/45 R17 can be safely fitted to a standard OEM 7J x 17 EP3 rim according to latest ETRTO standards. These are international standards governing wheel and tyres.

Just my two pennys worth;)

The actual overall diameter of the RE070 is 632mm compared to the RE050 being 624mm so there wouldnt be a great difference in the sidewall height of these tyres. There would be little if no difference in acceleration or cornering performance, you may even experience a more comfortable ride due the increased aspect ratio.

The increase in rolling radius is 2.7% which would give an indicated speed of 97mph at an actual 100mph. This wouldnt cause any problems with the law.

The 225/45 R17 can be safely fitted to a standard OEM 7J x 17 EP3 rim according to latest ETRTO standards. These are international standards governing wheel and tyres.

Just my two pennys worth;)

That's not what my calculations come up with.

Stock tyre size is 205/45/17

Rolling Radius: 193.62cm
Diameter: 61.63cm
Sidewall: 9.23cm
Revs/mile: 831

225/45/17

Rolling Radius: 199.27cm
Diameter: 63.43cm
Sidewall: 10.13cm
Revs/mile: 808

So 9mm difference in sidewall height, and 18mm overall difference in tyre height, that's pretty substantial to me?

And it's a 2.9% difference on those tyres, so if the speedo was dead on accurate at 60 on the 205s, then when it read 60 on the 225 you'd be doing 61.8mph and at 100mph it would be 102.9mph.

Yes, they can be fitted to a 7x17, but it's the minimum width advisable and why fit a tyre so far removed from the stock tyre size that will effect the handling, and will slow acceleration, when you can fit a decent tyre in the stock size or close to it?

Back