• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Bulb help

Hey guys I have a ATR they have zenons/HIDs as standard and I have put 10k bulbs in my headlights instead of the 4500k bulbs as standard but now the left bulb don't seem to want to come on straight away have I put too high bulb in or is my balast on it's way out?Cheers Andrew

Sounds like the terminals inside the bulb are not aligned properly to allow it to arc easily - i.e. the bulb probably needs replacing. Swop the bulbs around to see if it's the bulb not working or the ballast is gone. My money would be on the dud bulb.

I did swop and bulb started fine but now that ones Wont start instantly I'm ***** check the old bulbs tonight to see if it is ballest only thing I was thinking is there cheap bulbs so might be that?

Yeah, it's usually the case. Aftermarket bulbs are a bit hit and miss.

But to be honest mate, I wouldn't go near 10k bulbs. Not only will the colour get you noticed and possibly stopped by the police, you're losing a lot of light on the road. On a dark road you'll probably find they're much dimmer than your original 4500k bulbs.

OEM ballasts are usually pretty good and tend to outlast bulbs, but that's not to say they don't break. HID ballasts draw a large amount of current to "ignite" the bulbs so if the terminals are not well aligned it just makes them even more difficult to light up. Also it's more difficult to ignite them when they're cold or with a weak battery so test them after a drive (in daylight of course).

Otherwise just get another set of bulbs or return the ones you have.

I put my standard ones in and they started straight away Im ***** try and getnew bulbs and 10 k light road up great they are abit blue but haven't had trouble yet I'll trynew bulbs but if don't work I'll get lower grade

Back