• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 Buying advice, coming from a VX220

Hi, I am new on here.

I currently have a Vauxhall VX220 and am a keen member on the vx220 owners club, but want to get something a bit bigger and more refined for the winter. I initially started looking at a Skoda Octavia V/RS but I’m not sure and my girlfriend doesn’t like the look of them, so I am considering an Accord Type R. Firstly, can you tow with an Accord Type R? Just a light boat like a RIB. (Main reason for wanting a bigger saloon). If not, I may as well get an ITR. My friend has a mint red integra type R and another friend used to have a new Civic Type R, so I know the engines and their characteristics.

Is there anything I should be looking out for when buying an Accord Type R? I’ve heard there was a facelift. When was this and what changed? Thanks for any help and sorry for the newbie questions!

Dan

The facelift just made the car look less agressive. IMHO the pre facelift is the better of the two....I believe it occured in 2001.

At 100k you should make sure that it had the cambelt and tensioner done at 70k. If you go with the pre-facelift check that it wasn't affected by the 5th gear synchro recall...and if so that it had it done. Check when the clutch was last done.

My ATR has done 145k miles and I have only really had wear and tear things to sort out. It had its first replacement clutch last weekend (however I believe it is rare to last so long) I have a friend whos clutch needed doing at 106k so bear that in mind. My gearbox bearings are noisy so need reconditioning now. I also had the water pump replaced as they can go after a while (wear and tear as with any car!). The ATR has self levelling gas headlights so just make sure that you have a look at them to make sure they are levelling correctly.

Listen out for any strange noises....bear in mind that it may sound a little tappety....this is common on this engine and is nothing to worry about.

The key thing is to remember that the mileage is not a problem on one of these as long as it has been looked after.

I would say that the ATR is more than capable of towing things....I know of people towing things using the civic 1.8vti so I can safely say I am sure the ATR is more than capable!

I don't know for sure but i doubt the ATR is type approved for towing (no other type R's are) .... so while it may be able to tow it would actually be illegal to and if you have an accident while towing you could be in a sticky situation with your insurance company...

How do you find that out Neilly......Honda seem to think you can tow with it but how do you find out if it is type approved??

Sassy said:
How do you find that out Neilly......Honda seem to think you can tow with it but how do you find out if it is type approved??

If Honda say you can tow with the ATR then it must be type approved, like i said i wasn't 100% sure, just that no other Type R has been type approved.

Sassy said:
Maximum towing weight with brakes (kg) 1500 .....hope that helps :D

Fairy muff. The max towing weight for the CTR is 0kg... :lol: :lol:

:lol:

I did think that the ATR was ok to tow as I have a little towing sticker with tyre pressures on it on my door shut but I did check...lol

I didn't realise the CTR couldn't!

Hmmmmm I would stick with the ATR but then I am biased.....plus the ATR will legally tow and do you really wanna take the risk??

There are a fair few ATR's for sale on Ebay right now and on www.atr.org.uk check them out :D

I've only had mine for three weeks, so i have less knowledge than other people on here, but i can tell you this: the ATR is an utterly fabulous car. Space, refinement, poise, handling, ease of use, plenty of power, great soundtrack, if you need a practical car and aren't yet ready for the pipe and slippers, look no further.

Hello and welcome, by the way.

Marge

MilanoChris said:
dan yeates said:
that's what I wanted to check, because I know my friends CTR couldn't tow. Thanks for that. I am considering this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/99054.htm

but I am still unsure, plus it won't legally tow - although this one has a towbar!

'Orrible VAG 1.8 lump.

I've not driven one so I don't know first hand but I've heard they are good solid, fastish cars just a bit dull and lifeless?

Little Legs said:
MilanoChris said:
dan yeates said:
that's what I wanted to check, because I know my friends CTR couldn't tow. Thanks for that. I am considering this http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/99054.htm

but I am still unsure, plus it won't legally tow - although this one has a towbar!

'Orrible VAG 1.8 lump.

I've not driven one so I don't know first hand but I've heard they are good solid, fastish cars just a bit dull and lifeless?

The torque curve, while being impressive, is rather boring in it's deployment. You make progress fast with the engine, but it doesn't really put a smile on your face. It has similar characteristics as a diesel engine, as in power early, then past 4K you've run out of puff. Obviously a remap will sort that out. But IMO it's bland, dull and uninspiring. Plus it sounds poo. Probably harsh, but I do love rev happy engines.

These are my views on it, so don't take it as gospel. The car I drove was a LCR with 220ps or there abouts.

Back