• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Buying Ep3

Hello all, I'm sure these are questions all too familiar, and yes I did look at Faq section. OK so I'm competey new too the type r scene and Ive my eye on the Ep3 model, as this is easier on the eye and wallet compared to its successor. Just wondering what to expect with my budget 2-3.000, most cars are around 100k on the clock, ideally would like a little less, but how do these cars hold together at the stage in life?
Also I live on the coast so rust is a big eater of moter here, what can I expect with a type r this age.?.

Any advice highly appreciated. Cheers:)

One thing to watch out for is the clutch - get a test drive and pay attention to the gearchange if its notchy when changing at high rpm you could be up for a £500 bill straight away to replace it.

Good practice in general but especially with your budget i would probably go for something higher milage with less owners and a stash of paperwork instead of a car thats done 95k, has had 9 owners and paper work thats been "lost". Mine is 11 years old and has only ever seen rust when parked next to a ford transit.

OK so clutch to watch out for, keep hearing steering rack can be a common problem too? Hopefully I won't have a rust problem, ever heard of a paticularly spot these guys like to corode?

I personally have never seen one with rust, not saying they wont rust but iv not seen rust issues.

100K is no problem providing you have FSH and as ninja9 says go for less owners and see that its been well looked after.

As said, clutch to watch for as a general thing when buying a car, especially if you wanna keep at that budget. Also, keep an eye out for crunching in any gears/not going into gear, especially changing at high revs from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd as these generally take the most beating. It is good to have FSH and less owners, but I bought mine at 94k, FSH up to 60k with 5 owners, after having it inspected at TGM the engine (valves) are mint. So, you will get a general idea of the car on test drive and when you thoroughly inspect it, dont always be put off is what I am saying.

I just bought a 90k black example and its spot on but have owned 2 before!

Like any car check for accident damage, also as stated the clutch, check oil level and quality as ragged ones wont have been looked after, sticking rear brake calipers are common and listen out for a noisy gearbox... apart from that they are pretty bulletproof and for 3k you should find a tidy one just go in with your eyes wide open and look past the vtec yo performance (but make sure vtec kicks in at 5800rpm you will feel it) and buy a good one... also anti roll bar droplinks can knock and engines can be tappety if poorly serviced but valve clearances can be adjusted.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search... they are great cars and put a huge grin on your face :)

I bought mine on close to 170k, no history.
Knowing the exhaust was shot the only other issues have been seized rear calipers. Happy so far & the car has plenty of life left in it.

Seeing how easy they are to find for sale, my advice would be to look at a few & be sure to check fr & back corners for damage (under bonnet & boot carpet) for damage repairs & run away if anything isn't right.

I would buy a 170k one if it was cheap... but otherwise be very wary and walk away from any you are not sure of... find a good one and it will cost you less in the long run :)

FYI I bought this 54 nhb one for 3400 with 90k on clock and one owner with fsh.... so like I said buy the right one ;)

I wonder at what milage you would start to see power loss from worn rings etc 200'000? Or valve stem seal leaks things like that. Revving to 8krpm must take its toll at some point.

Looks pretty sweet, nighthawk black? These always look slick in black. A suprise to me was how much I loved the metallic grey on this car. Never been one for that, but looks the biz :)

I wonder at what milage you would start to see power loss from worn rings etc 200'000? Or valve stem seal leaks things like that. Revving to 8krpm must take its toll at some point.

Anyone seen milage this high?

FYI I bought this 54 nhb one for 3400 with 90k on clock and one owner with fsh.... so like I said buy the right one ;)

Looks pretty sweet, nighthawk black? These always look slick in black. A suprise to me was how much I loved the metallic grey on this car. Never been one for that, but looks the biz :)

Saw my first one yesterday, looked pretty sweet from what I could see, drives well, VETEC kicks in at 6rpm, is that normal. Heard some folk say 5 is the norm?

So seen a type r I want to buy, perfect one but is lowered 40mm, just wondered what are these like to live with. Especially with speed bumps and hills?

Back