• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

CH1 Buying Help

The Post Facelift cars aren't safe either there have been a few go as well. Basically a badly built gear box IMO It's like Honda spent a fortune on the engine then just found a gear box lying around the workshop and modded it for the ATR

Crunching going into 3rd and 5th. Then it will stop going into reverse completely.

You are looking at between £600 - £1000 to repair it.

Thanks for that, should be relatively easy to check the change into third, I guess the change into 5th may occur at slightly illegal speeds if you're pushing it. I would imagine that the wear is more down to how careful you are changing gears rather than the way you drive the car (aren't they supposed to be thrashed;)) I'm pretty careful in that respect, I've got an Impreza with about 320 bhp which is apparently pushing the limit of what the gearbox will take.

£600-£1000 doesn't sound too bad if the worst happens though.

It's also worth changing the gear box oil every 4K at the same time as the engine oil like I do ;)

I guess the change into 5th may occur at slightly illegal speeds if you're pushing it.

Not alway's, mine started crunching into fifth at anything over 50mph straight from the off, after a couple of week's that dropped to 40mph, then got to the point where doubling the clutch would'nt stop it either:mad:

i have mine done every 9k and the gear change is like silk :cool:
the stuff i use is way better than the honda mtf stuff;)

I just do it to be on the safe side (Over kill but why not :lol: ). I would say that the stuff is use is probably better ;) Amsoil is really good.

Thanks for that, should be relatively easy to check the change into third, I guess the change into 5th may occur at slightly illegal speeds if you're pushing it. I would imagine that the wear is more down to how careful you are changing gears rather than the way you drive the car (aren't they supposed to be thrashed;)) I'm pretty careful in that respect, I've got an Impreza with about 320 bhp which is apparently pushing the limit of what the gearbox will take.

£600-£1000 doesn't sound too bad if the worst happens though.

As has been said the pre-face lift gearbox is prone to 5th gear syncro problems and also a few early post-face lift using the old box design. The weakness is there but may never show, my old pre did 137,000 very hard miles on a tweeked engine and the 5th gear syncro never hinted any signs of appearing.

does anyone have an email that i could contact him on please! it may be unlikely he still has it but it was a good example!

I can help you out with contactin Dan ;)

Friend of mine sellin a 90k PB one at the min, on a 99/00 with private plate, otally standard, wants to sell quick as he is dyin to put his cossie on the rd will take £3500 for it :lol:

Back