• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Caliper upgrade advice

Loxy

Site Treasurer
Administrator
Right.

I don't normally ask for people's opinions, I normally just forge on my own path and damn the lot of you. :p Anyhow I digress...

Calipers. Talk to me.

Obviously Stoptech BBK 328mm floating rotors, 4 pot, comes with pads and brackets. approx £1,500.

Stoptech_Big_Brake_Kit_4_POT_EP3_5x114_3_328x28_300oe.jpg

Stoptech Touring kit 300mm 1 piece rotors, slightly smaller 4 pot, comes with same Porsche spec pads and brackets. approx £1,000.

STP-82.058.5100.72.jpg

Acura TL Type S Brembos (same as DC5s by all accounts), 4 pot, would need to buy S2000 (wider) 300mm discs, would need to buy separate pads, fettling to get them fitted, but that wouldn't be by me anyhow. approx £800-900 depending on price of calipers.

Brembo%20vs%20Spoon%202.JPG

K-Sport, 330mm rotors, 8 pot, comes with pads and brackets. £815

ksport-13-big-brake-front-kit-03-08-mazda-rx-8-rx8.jpg

Prices are without fitting and I know that I'll need spacers for each set, been told that 15mm should be OK for the standard 18s. Looking at Eibachs I'd be going for the System 4 ones with the extended bolts. So about £200 if I do front and rear.

SYSTEM48.jpg

Can get pretty much all of them in black or red. Stoptechs are proven, as are Brembos, K-Sport are made in the same factory as D2 which is a bit of a concern but they've been getting very very good reviews from those crazy cats on the continent.

I like the Spoon callipers as above, 4 pot, look good, use the same size as OEM pad which is a bonus and a downside (less effective as a bigger pad), use the same rotor, which again would mean I need to spend more on some grooved ones. Then again Spoons are £1,300 inc from EU-Touge plus new rotors so not really justified for the price.

Come on guys, thoughts on the above or suggestions please. And no, I'm not paying 2 grand on some AP Racing calipers.

Kthnksbye.

I'd go for Spoon mate, less fcuking about with odd shaped pads etc.

Ksport can FOAD.

I'd go for Spoon too. Proven performance on Romain's CRX with 450bhp, winning Time Attack.

I've had Stoptech & Spoon on my EP3.

Either will work fine for a supercharged car on the road, i would go Stoptech if you are thinking of going on track.

As James said they work on the crx well but remember that only weighs 850kg tops, your FN2 is closer to 1300kg i would have thought.

That's true, however the CRX is only running the twinblock with 282mm rotors.

With the full sized Spoons and 300mm rotors, should be fine with the heavier FN2 :)

Good stuff, keep it coming.

Would just like to add, this is with a Nurburgring and Spa trip in mind. I can imagine my current set-up will fade badly and destroy a set of pads over the weekend.

Standard brakes tend to last about 10 minutes on track before they overheat and give up. Then you have to wait for them to cool down again.

The Spoons should work well but you can only use oem sized discs & pads so will fade eventually on track but could be a good compromise for road/bit of track work.

The Stoptechs won't fade with a good pad upgrade no matter how much grief you give them, they just take it an take it i've been really impressed with them. The standard Axis pads are o.k on road but a bit crap on track, lasted about 4 laps before fading so you need to budget in decent pads if you want to stay out longer, i run Pagid RS Blue but DS3000 or Carbotech XP8 would be good.

I'd go with the acura (brembo) ones mate. A nice compromise on price, not silly money but should perform well on track I would of thought, this is just based on the little knowledge I have on the subject though :p Plus I'm putting DC5 Brembos on mine soon so I'm a little biased :lol:
It's going to be a nice set-up whichever you choose fella :D

Out of those choices, for me it would be the Stoptech kit with the two piece discs, if you're going to do it, do it properly IMO. The Spoon's will do nothing for heat management, and the only real benefit is they're lighter than stock items.

Am I right in saying the DC5 calipers are four pots aswell? How many pots are standard then?

Back