• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cams/Supercharger - So confused

Hi all,

Ultimately, my aim is toto supercharge my car (o5 plate CTR - 24,000miles) (like in 6 to 10 months) but want to build up my car before then so its ready to have a SC 'bolted on' Im set on the jackson racing SC as ive heard all good things about them.

Cams however im a bit stuck on - a) what make is recommended? b) what else do i have to do to the engine to ensure it wont explode...

The problem is that some times i hear that i should upgrade all piston rings, head gasket, piston arms n heads etc when modifying the cams, while others say i dont need to do anything... The engine would rev so high it would put - i assume - a massive strain on the engine itself.

I am looking for good reliable power rather than max power with the risk of destroying something majorly expensive. I use the car on a daily basis but would also like to keep the vtec part of the engine ( i understand this disappears once a SC is fitted)

Theres a lot of knowledge on this forum n wondered if anyone can help!?

At present im confused! I think the only other issue is cost, ive been quoted £2,500 for a fitted supercharger but didnt know much about it at the time so didnt ask what else is done for the money. So far im guessing ill need:

Cams £500 - £700
JR SuperCharger £2,500
Upgraded Piston Rings etc £?
and the rest is a little unknown.. even then i dont know how accurate i am with the above.

Thanks for any help - I really will appreciate it.

Lee

Happily V'Tec'in all the way home :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cams aren't needed for the JRSC at all mate, and you'd have to fit Supercharger specific cams, of which IPS make/made some (and good luck finding some!) and Brian Crower make some Forced Induction cams, but i'm not entirely sure how they perform on what is a relatively low boost application.
Cams designed for N/A applications would actually loose you power with a S/C. For N/A People recommend new pistons/headgasket and so on with cams normally to raise compression to make the most of them. With Boost you lower compression, so it would be a thicker headgasket/lower compression pistons. This is something i'd look at if a big Rotrex supercharger was being used for a 400hp+ build, but isn't strictly needed for the Jackson Racing kit.

Plenty of people have run the JRSC on a completely stock engine internally with no real problems. If you wanted to upgrade then i'd look at stronger rods, ACL bearings and so on but it's going to make the project vastly more expensive.

If you run a JRSC, with a good intake, manifold and exhaust combination with a good map then you'll be up around 290-300hp ish. I'd personally look at putting a better clutch/flywheel in, with a LSD to help. Also uprating the brakes to something more substantial. Chassis work would also be a good place to look even if it's just a decent set of springs with a good geometry set-up.

Lee,

As far as I know you can get away with a standard internals (cams, rings and the such) if you choose to supercharge your OEM engine, up to say 280/300 bhp.

If you want silly power, 300bhp+ you're going to need some extra bits.

Speak to some of the traders, they will offer excellent advice.

This is assuming you have the standard first stage set-up, all breathing mods, induction and exhaust.

:)

edit
**Hasnic beat me to it with much more detail**

hi guys, thanks for your advise, well gruppe m is my first thing, im completely standard at present apart from some 'niceitise' touches. Tints new matts etcs

Ive rang around sone tradrs but gruppe m's are impossible to get hold of unless u wana wait 8 weeks or more.. i dont mind waiting but it seems as though no - ones wants the hassle of ordering one from japan! Thats the first thing

Secondly, exhaust, i really like the exhaust on there so was wondering if its truly necessary once the SC is fitted? i want one that is quiet as use the car daily in a quiet neighbourhood.

Im not after silly power, personally i would argue that 300 bhp is silly lol. anyways, i do need more info on remaps etc, as i have no knowledge whatso ever about it.. i keep hearing OEM and Kpro and Hondata but have no idea what these words mean.. although i pick things up fast im still learning so your patience is as much appreicated as your knowledge and guidance is.. Thanks again

Lee

you will need hondata kpro to run a super charger because it is a piggyback module for your ecu to allow mapping, this is about £750 for a mod to your ecu
OEM is just the name for standard parts

hi guys, thanks for your advise, well gruppe m is my first thing, im completely standard at present apart from some 'niceitise' touches. Tints new matts etcs

Ive rang around sone tradrs but gruppe m's are impossible to get hold of unless u wana wait 8 weeks or more.. i dont mind waiting but it seems as though no - ones wants the hassle of ordering one from japan! Thats the first thing

Secondly, exhaust, i really like the exhaust on there so was wondering if its truly necessary once the SC is fitted? i want one that is quiet as use the car daily in a quiet neighbourhood.

Im not after silly power, personally i would argue that 300 bhp is silly lol. anyways, i do need more info on remaps etc, as i have no knowledge whatso ever about it.. i keep hearing OEM and Kpro and Hondata but have no idea what these words mean.. although i pick things up fast im still learning so your patience is as much appreicated as your knowledge and guidance is.. Thanks again

Lee

You can keep the standard backbox, but changing the midpipe and manifold is pretty much a given when S/C'ing the cars, or pulling power out of the engine in any form.

If you're not after silly power then what i'd possibly suggest doing first, is sort everything on the car, chassis, brakes, intake, manifold, kpro, midpipe and so on and get that mapped properly and that should see you a pretty good power hike, upto around 235-240hp'ish if you use good parts. IF you then fancy you need more power, then a S/C is something to consider. If you're adamant you want a S/C and not after silly power, then you could run the 4.5psi kit which would give less power and won't be so hard on the drivetrain, but most run the 11psi kit.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) ie the bits Honda made.

Hondata make the Kpro, which allows the stock Honda ECU to be remapped to cope with the S/C (Or any other mods you fancy). You're looking at £1000 approx for the Kpro and mapping.

On a side note, please refrain from writing in text speak dude, and try and write concise sentences, makes life easier for all concerned.

Thanks everyone

Where can I get the Mani fold, mid pipe and Kpro mods from? I will get the hondata Kpro but need to gt everything else first - I do want to go super charger but wana know what other costs im getting myself in for first. THe idea behind the post was to narrow down the list of stuff i thought i needed.

I think ill go for this order - gruppe m, mid pipe, antiroll bars & lowering 40mm, brakes, manifold, supercharger - 11 psi probably.

Sound right?

Well this may sound silly but apart from the obvious power gains its the noise! Nevee heard anythb like it. I guess I got the money n like bein different y's thwt matey

Please stop with the text speak; it's the rules after all.

I was just wondering where you can get a JRSC for 2.5k, Im sure they are over 3k for the kit and then you need to get it fitted and mapped if you get any change from 3.5k I'll be very surprised.

Before you go for forced induction, spend some money on the chasis brakes etc.

If i were to start again this would be the order I'd do it in.

first.

JDM anti roll bars
Engine mount inserts
Uprated suspension
LSD and lightened flywheel
Uprated brake lines and pads(at least)
Better tyres than the standard Bridgestones

£2000+

Second,

Kpro
Induction system/Gruppe M as you want
Exhaust system/ Jap quality, not cheap C**p

£2300+

Then,

Supercharger

£3000+

Good luck,

Paul

Would totally agree get the car ready for the supercharger first otherwise you will not get the most out of the power.

My advice is much the same, except keep a look out for another well converted car and swap - they do crop up here and the other place.

It would be a lot cheaper given the pound collapse and the credit crunch - what did Tarts car go for?

Seano

Back